BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SteveS
Calcite | Level 5

One of my colleagues has been running some code and intermittently the macro variables when being created using %let or called with %put have random blanks meaning they do not resolve properly. Does anyone know why this might be?

This is being submitted remotely from PC SAS 9.2 to Linux box

Code

rsubmit;

/* ASSIGN START AND END DATES TO EXAMINE */;

%let st_dt=%sysfunc(intnx(Month,&rep_dt,-3,B),date9.);

%let en_dt=&rep_dt;

%put &st_dt, &en_dt;

Endrsubmit

The log returned

775  /* ASSIGN START AND END DATES TO EXAMINE */;

776  %let st_dt=%sysfunc(intnx(Month,&rep_dt,-3,B),date9.);

777  %let en_dt=&rep_dt;

778  %put& st_dt,& en_dt;

& st_dt,& en_dt

NOTE: Remote submit to SASUNIX complete.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

When I see something like that usually I ask if the code was copied from somewhere, like a website. There are apparently interactions with copy and paste from different sites that will insert invisible characters. Depending on the type of code they generate syntax errors or just goofy results.

Go to the source code file and see if you can delete a character after thein the %PUT statement & but the letter S or E remain.

Generally the solution is to type from scratch over the affected areas.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

When I see something like that usually I ask if the code was copied from somewhere, like a website. There are apparently interactions with copy and paste from different sites that will insert invisible characters. Depending on the type of code they generate syntax errors or just goofy results.

Go to the source code file and see if you can delete a character after thein the %PUT statement & but the letter S or E remain.

Generally the solution is to type from scratch over the affected areas.

SteveS
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you ballardw, discovered this was the cause but in a proceeding piece of code which had thrown out everything later on.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation