BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
lucysas
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I'm a bit of a Macro noob, and was wondering whether someone could help me tackle this problem.

What I have is an array where individual data is organized by columns, e.g.

Obs       a1          a2          b1          b2     etc

1          200         300         250        300

2          220         280         280        320

3          210         280         270        300

100      210          310         260        300

The names of the columns do not ascend in any particular order. I would like to cycle through each of the columns and perform some macro functions on each, and I'm not quite sure how to go about it. It would make sense to me to use a do loop, but I'm not sure how to retrieve the column names. I have also made another table which is just the column names, so I could iterate through that, but I'm not sure how to retrieve single table elements.

Please help! Greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Lucy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You can get a list of the variable names in a dataset from PROC CONTENTS or by querying SAS's internal metadata tables.

proc contents data=mydata out=contents noprint; run;

proc sql ;

select name into :varlist separated by ' '

from contents

;

%let n=&sqlobs;

quit;

%do i=1 %to &n ;

%let currentvar = %scan(&varlist,&i);

....repetitive code....

%end;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I doubt that you want SAS macro logic to do anything with the values in columns of your data.

Usually you use macro code to generate SAS code that can perform calculations on values.

Can you explain what you want to do?  It might even be possible to do it without any macro code.

lucysas
Fluorite | Level 6

I subsequently do perform a set of functions on the columnar data: cumulative sum, loess procedure on the csum, regression etc. I have written these functions for data from one column, which I specify, and I just want to apply the same functions in the same order to every column in the dataset.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You can get a list of the variable names in a dataset from PROC CONTENTS or by querying SAS's internal metadata tables.

proc contents data=mydata out=contents noprint; run;

proc sql ;

select name into :varlist separated by ' '

from contents

;

%let n=&sqlobs;

quit;

%do i=1 %to &n ;

%let currentvar = %scan(&varlist,&i);

....repetitive code....

%end;

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You can also look into transposing your data and then using BY variable processing.

proc transpose data=mydate out=vertical;

run;

proc means data=vertical;

by _name_ ;

var col1;

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation