BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Shivi82
Quartz | Level 8

I have written the following code:

%macro one_run (dataset1=, dataset2=, var1= , var2= );
%macro two_run (yourdate= 01Feb2015)* this is example date 
proc sql;
create table ab as
select a.&var1, a.INDIV_ID, b.CD, b.&var2, b.AGENCY, b.DT, b.PAID_AMT, b.PROD_ID, b.CANCEL_DT, b.RECEIVED_CD, b.PAYMENT_DT,
b.PAYMENT_STATUS, b.PAYMENT_TYPE, b.OKey, b.Cancel
from &dataset1 a, &dataset2 b
where a.MSR_INDIV_ID = b.INDIVIDUAL_ID
and date ge "&yourdate."d;
run;
%mend one_run;
%mend two_run; %one_run (dataset1=var.FF_ACX_MSR_ID10, dataset2=ora1.FACT_MKE_PUB_SUBSCRIPTION) %two_run(&yourdate)

The challenge i am facing here is that i have in some of the datasets more than 70 variables hence i cannot use var1, var2 so on and so forth to call these variables. 

Kindly suggest how should i achieve this. if there is any other alternate apart from proc sql or macro kindly assist with the same as well. 

Looking forward to assistance as always. 

10 REPLIES 10
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

What are you trying to achieve?

I ask this because I don't think your code can work at all. And is written in a way that successfully obfuscates your intentions.

Shivi82
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Kurt, 

We have moved data from Oracle to SAS. 

Now we are trying to find any data if all data has moved entirely or is some discrepancy. here i have some datasets which could have variables ranging from 10 to almost 68. 

If i write a proc sql statement, i would have to manually add in name of all the variables every time and that would be a tedious activity. I have around 72 data tables. 

I hope i am able to comprehend my requirement. 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

If you want to create steps dynamically, you can get the column names and attributes from dictionary.columns (SQL) or sashelp.vcolumn (data step) and then let a data step write the compare steps dynamically with call execute.

Your initial example was just a inner join with no compare functionality at all.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Post example test data (in the form of a datastep) and what the output should look like.  Why do you have 70 variables to start with?  That is a lot, and any programming you do will be complicated by this.  Mostly, if you have lots of variables you would use arrays - can be simple depending on naming of the variables.  Your code as given doesn't make any sense I am afraid.

Shivi82
Quartz | Level 8

Hi, 

Attached excel contains some example data. 

Here i have added some mocked data for 2 tables: Employee and emp_salary table which have 8 and 5 variables. 

Similarly i have 70 tables which have 5 to 68 variables. With proc sql i would need to manually feed in the variables every time however with a macro i would need to define a macro variable and keep changing its value as per the required variable from respective table

Hope this helps. Apologise i am not familair with SAS arrays. 

Once we are able to achieve this we would run a proc freq to see the freq of these variables in the select statement from the respective datasets and find difference. 

%macro freq( dsn,n);

proc freq data = &dsn; 

tables var;

run;

%mend;

%freq(datasetname,1);

%freq(datasetname,2);

%freq(datasetname,3);

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

"Post example test data (in the form of a datastep)" - sorry, not touching Excel files - plain text in the post.

Shivi82
Quartz | Level 8

Please see if this is what you were asking for (in plain text):

Table Name                              Variable Name 

Table A                                      emp_code

Table A                                      emp_name

Table A                                      date_join

Table A                                      department 

Table A                                      emp_phone

Table A                                      emp_cell

Table A                                      email_id

Table A                                      emp_status

Table B                                      emp_code

Table B                                      emp_sal

Table B                                     sal_month

Table B                                     avg_tenure

So on and so forth. Table A and B are ficticious names and the variables in these tables are changing. 

Shivi82
Quartz | Level 8

Hi, 

Not sure if my data was uploaded yesterday, sharing again. These are 2 tables - Employee and emp_salary with various variables. These variables will keep on changing for each table and there are 70 tables we have to work on.

Table Name     	Variabe aname  
    Employee       	emp_code       
    Employee       	emp_name       
    Employee       	date_of_join   
    Employee       	department     
    Employee       	emp_phone      
     Employee       	emp_mob
    Employee       	email_id       
    Employee       	emp_status     
emp_salary	emp_code       
emp_salary	emp_sal
emp_salary	sal_month      
emp_salary	salary_process_numbe
emp_salary	Last_Salary

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Yes, I saw your Excel file, however I will not touch Office files from the net, they are a security risk.  Post test data - in the form of a datastep - in the body of your post, e.g.;

data 1;
  input a b;
datalines;
1 1
2 2
;
run;

Now looking at what you have posted below, you have two tables, only one of which variable name matches - I have no idea on other properties such as format or length.  Now what do you want to do with those two variables - this is where showing an want table is useful.  It seems your looking to merge all the 70 tables into one really wide table, not a recommended approach.  Much like your Oracle database, it makes life easier for programming if you keep the normalised structure (data goes down rather than across).  Take this one, if you normalise the data to:

EMP_CODE     PARAM               RESULT

001                 EMP_NAME         Abc

001                 DATE_OF_JOIN   01JAN2014

Then your task becomes trivial as you can just set all of the datasets into one big dataset.  Later on if you need the transposed data, then use proc transpose or array processing to transpose the data up.

Also note that you can get one complete normalised dataset from the Oracle Clinical (OC) master dataset, i.e. avoiding all the retrieval of individual data and processing.  In OC thre is a Questions, and reposnses master table, merge those two and export and it contains the param/result setup from above.

SuryaKiran
Meteorite | Level 14

Create a macro with data step merge and use keep= if you have less variables to consider or drop= to drop some variables and keep more variables.

Thanks,
Suryakiran

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation