BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mwf763
Calcite | Level 5

I am trying to create multiple flags in my dataset GB1_1, GB1_2, ....... GB1_36, but failing miserably, how do I create numeric variables using macro code (below is what I tried)

%macro gb1(howmany);

%do i=1 %to &howmany;

%if status&i = 1 %then %let &gb1_&i = %syseval(1*1);
%else %if status&i = 2 %then %let &gb1_&i = %syseval(1*1);
%else %if dpd&i >= 2 %then %let &gb1_&i = %syseval(1*1);
%else %if ((dpd&i < 2) and (dpd&i >= 1)) %then %let &gb1_&i = %syseval(2*1);
%else %let &gb1_&i = %syseval(0*1);

%end;

%mend gb1;

GB takes the value 0,1,2 dependent on the conditions above

please help

6 REPLIES 6
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Is statusn a variable in your data step?

Macro logic can handle creation of regular programming syntax, but not based on values/conditions within a data step.

If you need to create and assign dynamic no variable depending on values in a data step, it's quite complex - not quite understand the logic in your attempt.

What do your try to achieve - what does the logic represent?

being a data modeler, creating lot's of variables/columns is seldom a good way forward. Preparing for data mining is one of very few use cases I know of.

Data never sleeps
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Provide example (test data in a datastep), required output.  I can't see what your trying to do here.  Macro variables are *always* character.  Macro language is basically a code generator, nothing more.  Logic should be done in Base SAS.  If you really need a macro flag then:

data _null_;

if &STATUS1="Y" then result="Y";

else result="N";

call symput('RESULT',result);

run;

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

status&i will resolve to "status1", "status2", and so on. Note that I used the quotes to make clear that we are dealing with strings here.

When the macro compares "status1" to "1" (because macro values are ALWAYS character), this condition will never be true. The same goes for "dpd1" and so on.

Since there never has been a declaration of macro variable gb1_, all the references to it will fail.

If macro variable gb1_ was set to X, then &gb1_&i would resolve to X1 in the first iteration of the macro do loop.

Actually, what do you want to achieve (logically)?

Astounding
PROC Star

Just a single line from your code illustrates the issues you have to fix:

%if status&i = 1 %then %let &gb1_&i = %syseval(1*1);

First, it needs to be simplified.  Assigning a numeric value is straightforward and does not require a function:

%if status&i = 1 %then %let &gb1_&i = 1;

If you were to use a function, there is no function named %SYSEVAL.  There's %EVAL, and %SYSEVALF, but not %SYSEVAL.

Next, what is the outcome supposed to be?  Assigning a value to the macro variable GB1_1 should remove an ampersand:

%if status&i = 1 %then %let gb1_&i = 1;

If the intended result is something different, you will need to explain.

Finally, what in the world is STATUS1 supposed to be?  A macro variable named STATUS1?  A DATA step variable named STATUS1?  A series of 7 characters "STATUS1"?  You will definitely need to explain that as well.

Good luck.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Sounds like you want to use ARRAY instead of macro logic.

data want ;

set have ;

array s  status1-status36 ;

array d dpd1-dpd36 ;

array g gb1-gb36 ;

do i=1 to dim(s);

if s(i) =1 then g(i)=1 ;

end;

run;

Ron_MacroMaven
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I'll back up Tom's answer: use arrays

and suggest assignment with a select series block

do i = dim(s);

select;

when() g(i) =1;

when() g(i) =2;

otherwise g(i) =0

end;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 7 in conversation