create table &tbl.
select count(*) as &vr. from &ds.
where compno in (&st.)
order by clamno lineno;
quit;
%mend cnt_inv;

%cnt_inv(tbl=pr_inv_nj_a, vr=prior_wk_inv, st=&complist, ds=test1);

Error message:
ERROR 180-322: Statement is not valid or it is used out of proper order.

ERROR: All positional parameters must precede keyword parameters

Thanks in Advance
5 REPLIES 5
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
The second error is probably from &complist, which you don't show. If it has a comma in it, then the %cnt_inv will interpret the parts after the comma as positional parameters. The macro needs a lot more work to handle things like &complist; there are examples in the macro manual.

To get at the first error, you need to add some of the macro debugging options (macrogen in particular would help).

Your order by clause should be a GROUP BY clause to go with the aggregate function COUNT.

Doc Muhlbaier
Duke
polingjw
Quartz | Level 8
The first error probably occurs because you are missing the word "as" in the create table statement.
deleted_user
Not applicable
@ Polingjw : I iincluded the keyword but still am getting an error.
ERROR 180-322: Statement is not valid or it is used out of proper order.

@Duke : I have included the macro debug options as below:

Options symbolgen mlogic mprint;
%put &njcomplist;
%macro cnt_inv (tbl=, vr=, st=, table=);
PROC SQL;
create table '&tbl.' as
select count(*) as "&vr." from '&table.'
where compno in ('&st.')
quit;
%mend cnt_inv;
%cnt_inv(tbl=pr_inv_nj_a, vr=prior_wk_inv, st=&NJcomplist, table=CLA378.outf_old);

Please let me know how to resolve this error?

Thanks
Raveena
SPR
Quartz | Level 8 SPR
Quartz | Level 8
Hello Raveenat,

I see single quotes around all macro variables in SQL Your previous post do not contain them. Variant with quotes is not correct. Please display &njcomplist. it is a good idea to run this code outside of the macro by assigning values (using %let) to all macro variables used.

Sincerely,
SPR
ballardw
Super User
If &NJcomplist resolves to having any special characters, you may need to call it as st= %str(&NJcomplist)

Habitual use of a trailing "." with macro variables when you are not concatenating can get you into trouble as well.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation