BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
JMarkW
Fluorite | Level 6
I'm working with very large UNIX servers. 24 processors and lots of memory.

The systems have many SAS ETL processes kicked of by CRON. The CRON entries for the ETLs typically have MEMSIZE of 1 to 2 G.

Would it be better to let MEMSIZE be MAX and let SAS 9.13 and UNIX deal with the memory management?
2 REPLIES 2
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
How many ETL jobs run in paralel?
How much memory do they usually consume?

The best practice is to have SAS handle it's own swapping, since SAS could probably know better what to swap rather than the OS.

So, look in the logs for memory usage. If there is memory left in the server you either set up the general MEMSIZE, or raise it for specific memory intense jobs.

/Linus
Data never sleeps
JMarkW
Fluorite | Level 6
I have one ETL that has a step that is memory intensive. I would prefer to leave the processing in memory instead of using temporary files. Memory is fast.

The system memory is around 290 gig. SAS documentation I see shows the max for a process is only 2 gig. I would prefer a setting that would go up to 40 gig or so.

Is SAS really limited to 2 gig or is that just a generic document for small systems?

Does anybody have a larger system using over 2 gig of memory for a single process?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation