BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
forumsguy
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi there,

I am newbie in SAS and learning to write macros. Can somebody help me in explaining why my code is produing 396 observations when I am actually expecting it to be only 6.Please find the code I am using here

%macro m1;                                                                                                                           

%do i=1 %to 6;                                                                                                                         

%put log is &i;                                                                                                                        

%end;                                                                                                                                  

%mend;                                                                                                                                 

data _null_;                                                                                                                           

set sashelp.shoes end=eof;                                                                                                             

if region="Africa" then call execute('%m1');                                                                                           

run;

So according to my logic it should print log is 1 to 6 but it actually is reading everything from sashelp.shoes and printing 1to6 several times. This will really help me in strengthening my basics in macros

1 REPLY 1
art297
Opal | Level 21

If you do a proc freq of the region variable in sashelp.shoes, you'll discover that there are 56 records that contain a region with the name Africa.

As such, your code is send the "log is x" statement 56*6 times.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation