BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
DavidLie
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi SAS Expert!

I have a question on looping for string variables. First, I have multiple datasets and each of the file starts with the name  "TMIDRRPT_MONTHLY_" and then followed by month and year. For example:

TMIDRRPT_MONTHLY_January-2010.txt

TMIDRRPT_MONTHLY_February-2010.txt

... etc.

I have created a macro to import multiple files in one go but it kept giving me the error code. If you can suggest a better way and/or spot my mistake, that will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

David

%let year=2010;

%macro imp(year);
%do i=2010 %to &year;
%do j='January','February','March';

proc import datafile="&input\TMIDRRPT_MONTHLY_&j-&i.txt" out=data.raw&j&i dbms=dlm replace;
   delimiter='|';
   getnames=yes;
run;

%end;
%end;
%mend;
%imp(&year);

5 REPLIES 5
Reeza
Super User

What's the error? 

Post the log. 

If you search here you'll find some macros that can help with this issue. If all your files have the same format you can use a wildcard and import all at once. 

DavidLie
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Reeza,

Here is the error message.

508  %let year=2010;
510  %macro imp(year);
511  %do i=2010 %to &year;
512  %do j='January','February';
ERROR: Expected %TO not found in %DO statement.
ERROR: A dummy macro will be compiled.
514  proc import datafile="&input\TMIDRRPT_MONTHLY_&j-&i.txt" out=data.raw&j&i dbms=dlm
514! replace;
515     delimiter='|';
516     getnames=yes;
517  run;
519  %end;
520  %end;
521  %mend;
522  %imp(&year);
     -
WARNING: Apparent invocation of macro IMP not resolved.

ERROR 180-322: Statement is not valid or it is used out of proper order.

Reeza
Super User

I think Example 3 and 11 are what you're looking for, 3 is the solution to your question here and 11 is another option for your loop. 

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/SAS-9-4-Macro-Language-Reference-Has-a-New-Ap...

Note that you can use the MONNAME format to turn a date into the month name, ie January. 

%put %sysfunc(putn('01Jan2017'd, monname.));

The log will show 

January. 

ArtC
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

As you go through the examples that @Reeza pointed out you will discover that not all DATA step knowledge is transferrable to the macro language.  For instance as you already found, macro %DO loops cannot iterate across character strings with multiple loop specifications - as can DATA  step loops. 

Also when appending text to a macro variable the dot or period is used to identify the end of the macro variable name. when appending a dot, a double dot is needed. in part your file name becomes &i-&j..txt;

Astounding
PROC Star

Here's some detail about the original situation causing the problem:

http://blogs.sas.com/content/sastraining/2015/01/30/sas-authors-tip-getting-the-macro-language-to-pe...

As Art mentioned, you will need to add the dot as well.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation