DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Logistic Regression/GAM Modeling

Contributor

Logistic Regression/GAM Modeling

Hi,

In my dataset the variables which are indicated by diffrent range say Female_Age_Band are given as 15-20,20-25,25-30,...& so on.But the problem is wherever the data is unavailable that particular observation is labelled as "Unavailable" which is making sas to read this field as a character. So I believe this will make it difficult to invoke this variable in logistic regression.Further , there are also certain categorical fields which has say 3 distinct indicators 0 1 & 2 .But even these fields have the "Unavailable" label.Cannot technically replace with zeroes because zero might be a valid value.

Can someone help with a solution ?
Trusted Advisor

Re: Logistic Regression/GAM Modeling

[ Edited ]

"Unavailable" is a chrachter type field.

You need to create a new numeric variable using

data temp;

set have;

new_variable = input(old_variable, ?? best.);

run;

in this case the non numeric value will be assigned as missing value

and that is what you need for statistics and analyze.

Contributor

Using this also converts the ranges to missing values so the values for eg say 10-20 ,20-30,... are even replaced with missings

Super User

Setting them to missing > removed from analysis. SAS will discard any record from analysis where any of the model variables are missing. If you don't assign them a "valid" category then you may as well use where clause to subset the data as they would be excluded anyway.

Or take a pass at imputing but I wouldn't go that route unless the number of "missing" or "unavailable" is large relative to the sample size. How large? depends on the actual data.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation