BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

Dear All,

Day by day when  we are working with SAS, coming to know so many Automatic Variables. I just want to know whether we can find list of all Automatic variables available in SAS ? If anyone is having URL, that will be really helpful before you want to use any of the Automatic variables (Except Macro Automatic variables).

Thanks a lot in advance for help.

Regards,

S Ravuri.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sambasiva_ravuri_tcs_com
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for quick response Ballardw.

I got some of Automatic Variables info and am just sharing for the same.

_ALL_ Lists the values of all macro variables.specifies all variables that are currently defined in the current DATA step.

_AUTOMATIC_ Lists the values of all automatic macro variables

_USER_ Lists the values of all user-defined macro variables

_NUMERIC_
specifies all numeric variables that are already defined in the current DATA step.

_CHARACTER_
specifies all character variables that are currently defined in the current DATA step.

Regards,

S Ravuri.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ballardw
Super User

Since different modules and operating systems have different automatic variables I would recomend starting by searching in your SAS online help for "automatic". I have lists for automatic macro variables, error, VSAM processing and SAS/IntrNet to name just a few places.

A single list probably  wouldn't make sense as you may not be able to use all of them without the appropriate modules.

sambasiva_ravuri_tcs_com
Calcite | Level 5

_ALL_ Lists the values of all macro variables.specifies all variables that are currently defined in the current DATA step.

_NUMERIC_
specifies all numeric variables that are already defined in the current DATA step.

_CHARACTER_
specifies all character variables that are currently defined in the current DATA step.

Regards,

S Ravuri.

Howles
Quartz | Level 8

Some clarification ...

Macro variables and SAS data variables are altogether different things.

Examples of automatic variables: _N_ and _ERROR_ in the DATA step, _TYPE_ and _FREQ_ in PROC SUMMARY/MEANS.

The items which S. listed are not automatic variables. Rather, they are shorthand notations which expand to be lists of zero or more variables (which are generally not automatic variables).

In fact, _NUMERIC_ excludes automatic variables when it is expanded.

sambasiva.ravuri@tcs.com wrote:

_NUMERIC_

_CHARACTER_

Regards,

S Ravuri.

manojinpec
Obsidian | Level 7

Also,

You can see all available automatic variables using the command in given link:-

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/mcrolref/61885/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a000206943.htm

%put _ALL_ ;

sambasiva_ravuri_tcs_com
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks a lot for sharing nice URL.

Regards,

S Ravuri.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation