BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SASaholic629
Fluorite | Level 6

I have 500 columns of values that I need to linear interpolate with 50 different sets of 20,000 random draws. Are there any quick ways to do this? What I have below, shows mini-examples of both of the tables I have. Then it linear interpolates all 500 columns of values over only 1 set of random draws. I need to know a quick way of doing it over all 50 (give or take) sets of random draws.

/*500 (could be more/less) sets of values and their associated percentile*/
DATA Values;
INFILE DATALINES DELIMITER='|';
INPUT Percentile COL1 COL2 COL500;
DATALINES;
0.1|-100||-75|250
0.3|-20|-40|175
0.5|0|0|0
0.7|60|25|-140
0.9|150|60|-300
;RUN;

/*50 (could be more/less) sets of 20,000 (fixed) random draws*/
DATA RandomDraws;
INFILE DATALINES DELIMITER='|';
INPUT Scenario Percent1 Percent2 Percent50;
DATALINES;
1|0.06|0.54|0.22
2|0.74|0.85|0.11
3|0.98|0.08|0.41
4|0.24|0.86|0.52
20000|0.05|0.56|0.69
;RUN;

/*Stack only the first set of random draws with all 500 sets of values*/
DATA Stacked;
SET Values
 RandomDraws (RENAME=(Percent1=Percentile) DROP=Percent2--Percent50 Scenario);
RUN;

/*Linear interpolate for the first set of random draws only -- but for all 500 sets of values*/
PROC TRANSREG DATA=Stacked;
MODEL IDENTITY(COL:) = SPLINE(Percentile / DEGREE=1 NKNOTS=3);
OUTPUT
OUT=Random_Set_1
PREDICTED;
RUN;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

BY variable isn't restricted to one variable. Add all the data at once and then run the regressions with the two variables at once, which is 500*50=25,000 regressions, but whatever, the computer handles it. 

http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/forum2007/183-2007.pdf

Otherwise you could write a macro to loop it 50 times. Both approaches are covered in the paper above. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

I'm not exactly following, but I would suggest transposing your data so you're dealing with a long format instead and then use a BY statement in the PROC TRANSREG to have the regression done by each draw/variable.

similar to the concept here:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/How-do-I-write-a-macro-to-run-multiple-regres...

If I'm misinterpreting your question, feel free to disregard this message.

SASaholic629
Fluorite | Level 6

I thought about that (used that exact method last week for something else). The BY statement would do it for each of my 500 sets of values over only 1 of my sets of random draws. The BY statement would allow it to work for all 500 at once. Which is good, but not good enough. I need it to do all 500, 50 different times, all at once.

EDIT: Give me a few minutes and I'll post exactly what I have above using the BY statement so you can see it still gets me to the same place.

Reeza
Super User

BY variable isn't restricted to one variable. Add all the data at once and then run the regressions with the two variables at once, which is 500*50=25,000 regressions, but whatever, the computer handles it. 

http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/forum2007/183-2007.pdf

Otherwise you could write a macro to loop it 50 times. Both approaches are covered in the paper above. 

SASaholic629
Fluorite | Level 6

I didn't realize this could work for more than one variable - thank you!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation