BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Sudhakar_A
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

We have installed SAS 9.3 in our server, right from the day we upgraded from 9.1 to 9.3 we hare facing problem in using libname with Excel engine. we are getting the error message as

ERROR: Connect: Class not registered

ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.

Our server is windows server 2008 R2 64 bit. "NOTE: This session is executing on the X64_S08R2  platform." and we are using Office 2010 with 32 bit.

We have license for the below products

Product expiration dates:

---Base SAS Software                                                                                    31JUL2013

---SAS/STAT                                                                                             31JUL2013

---SAS/GRAPH                                                                                            31JUL2013

---SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files                                                                     31JUL2013

---SAS Workspace Server for Local Access                                                                31JUL2013

But still we cant able to use the libname with excel engine. Please help me to solve the issue.

Thanks

Sudhakar

19 REPLIES 19
allurai0412
Fluorite | Level 6

hi,

please check in the below link... i guess it will help...

https://communities.sas.com/message/123860

Regards

ALLU

Sudhakar_A
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

thanks for the link,

I tried this code.

libname xf Excel "F:\share\check.xls"; am getting the same error as above.

Sudhakar

Florent
Quartz | Level 8

Does the following still give an error ?

libname xf Excel path="F:\share\check.xls";

Sudhakar_A
Calcite | Level 5

Yes even if i do with Userinterface to create a libname am getting this error:

ERROR: Connect: Class not registered

esjackso
Quartz | Level 8

I believe we were directed by SAS support to install 64 bit office on our server before the libname would work.

EJ

Sudhakar_A
Calcite | Level 5

Is that so, is there any other way to make them work ?

esjackso
Quartz | Level 8

We have a complete 64 bit setup so we had to match that with office. This was a switch from local sas 9.3 to remote Server SAS 9.3 so I dont know if this was a 9.3 issue or not.

esjackso
Quartz | Level 8

I believe we had problems even with proc import and import wizard.

Sudhakar_A
Calcite | Level 5

true even import wizard and export wizard is not working.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi: When your "bitness" does not match, such as having 64 bit SAS and 32 bit Office, you CAN use the PC file server to use the LIBNAME engine. However, the form of the LIBNAME engine statement changes. I use this all the time on my machine, which has the bitness difference described above (64 bit SAS/32 bit Office). Here's a sample LIBNAME engine statement that I use:

libname myxls pcfiles path='c:\temp\myexceldata.xls' ;

Note that this form of the LIBNAME statement does require the PC File Server component to work.

cynthia

Sudhakar_A
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Cynthia,

I tried using the PCfiles engine to excel files. It is working fine in User interface method of creating lib name. But if i use the below code, i am getting this error.

libname ex pcfiles "d:\Users\sanbazhagan\Desktop\System Details.xls";

ERROR: Incorrect syntax for this LIBNAME statement. This engine does not accept a physical name.

It is strange for me now, how it is working in userinterface method of creating libname and not in program way.

Sudhakar

Sudhakar_A
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Cynthia,

I tried using the following code for the libname statement now it is working. I have added Path= option.

libname ex pcfiles path="d:\Users\sanbazhagan\Desktop\System Details.xls";

thanks for your answer. But Libname with excel engine will not work? I am just trying to find why it is not working whether i need to change any settings in my server to do that?

Sudhakar

Norman21
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Although this is an old thread, I can confirm that Cynthia's solution works with SAS 9.4 64 bit and Microsoft Office 32 bit.

Specifically, use

LIBNAME XLSLIB pcfiles path="C:\My SAS\myfile.XLS"

instead of

LIBNAME XLSLIB "C:\My SAS\myfile.XLS"

Norman.
SAS 9.4 (TS1M6) X64_10PRO WIN 10.0.17763 Workstation

esjackso
Quartz | Level 8

We didnt ask a lot of question since we had licenses for both versions of Office 2010 so we tried it and stopped our problems.

EJ

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 9 in conversation