DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Lesson 7: Reading Spreadsheet and Database Data - I am not able to find any data set(excel file)

Accepted Solution Solved
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Lesson 7: Reading Spreadsheet and Database Data - I am not able to find any data set(excel file)

[ Edited ]

Tried this 

libname orionx pcfiles Path="/folders/myfolders/sales.xls"; - Not working - Getting this error. 

ERROR: The SERVER= option is required for establishing a connection through the SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files.
ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement

Tried this (no error message- it actually created library but I cannot see any files in the library. 
libname orionx XLSX "/folders/myfolders/sales.xls";
NOTE: Libref ORIONX was successfully assigned as follows:
Engine: XLSX
Physical Name: /folders/myfolders/sales.xls

Not sure what to do next? I am on chapter 7  SAS Programming 1: Essentials e-course. 

Using SAS Studio. 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎02-09-2017 06:57 AM
SAS Super FREQ

Re: Lesson 7: Reading Spreadsheet and Database Data - I am not able to find any data set(excel file)

Hi:

When we wrote the course, we put explicit instructions inside the course, telling the student that they should study the code, but NOT to submit the code. Please review the highlighted section for the practice:

prg1_do_not_submit_code_to_read_Excel_files.png

There are many configurations that may not have the PCFILE server installed, as we explain. We do not intend for you to run code in Lesson 7, only study the PCFILE server syntax that is illustrated. As you discovered there are differences in the various LIBNAME engines and when you use SAS at different jobs, you will have to learn the method that is used at your company.

cynthia

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎02-09-2017 06:57 AM
SAS Super FREQ

Re: Lesson 7: Reading Spreadsheet and Database Data - I am not able to find any data set(excel file)

Hi:

When we wrote the course, we put explicit instructions inside the course, telling the student that they should study the code, but NOT to submit the code. Please review the highlighted section for the practice:

prg1_do_not_submit_code_to_read_Excel_files.png

There are many configurations that may not have the PCFILE server installed, as we explain. We do not intend for you to run code in Lesson 7, only study the PCFILE server syntax that is illustrated. As you discovered there are differences in the various LIBNAME engines and when you use SAS at different jobs, you will have to learn the method that is used at your company.

cynthia

Super User

Doesn't SAS UE allow you to connect now using XLSX engine? 

Maybe the dourse can be updated to reflect this @Cynthia_sas

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation