BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
tadams11
Calcite | Level 5
Is there a way in base SAS to launch a browser on my computer and open to a web address? For example, is there a line of code that I could insert into a program to open Internet Explorer and go immediately to www.sec.gov? Almost like bookmarking a webpage with information relevant to my analysis directly in my program.

I have base SAS and I run it locally on my PC.

Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

@tadams11 wrote:
Is there a way in base SAS to launch a browser on my computer and open to a web address? For example, is there a line of code that I could insert into a program to open Internet Explorer and go immediately to www.sec.gov? Almost like bookmarking a webpage with information relevant to my analysis directly in my program.

Thanks.

If you have X command enabled this is relatively trivial. You need to have the location of your browser but otherwise it would look like:

X ""C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" www.sec.com";

I can't test it now because I'm at home, but that's the idea anyways.  It's usually the quote marks that trip me up somehow. 

If X doesn't work, you can try %SYSEXEC or CALL SYSTEM as well. 

You can enable XCMD if you need it with the following, though its possible that your system may have it locked down:

option xcmd;

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

@tadams11 wrote:

Thanks.

If you have X command enabled this is relatively trivial. You need to have the location of your browser but otherwise it would look like:

X ""C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" www.sec.com";

I can't test it now because I'm at home, but that's the idea anyways.  It's usually the quote marks that trip me up somehow. 

If X doesn't work, you can try %SYSEXEC or CALL SYSTEM as well. 

You can enable XCMD if you need it with the following, though its possible that your system may have it locked down:

option xcmd;
tadams11
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for!

By the way, it’s one set of quotes and the noxsync and noxwait options make the launch of my bookmark work seamlessly with SAS.

Thanks again, really appreciate it.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation