BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
UMAnalyst
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello Everyone,

I need to solve how to fill a char var with a string based on the previous and following values as a conditional.

Example data:

ID               STREET                CITY                 STATE        ZIP        YEAR     IX
1001          999 MAIN ST         TUPELO           MS              99999    1992      1
1001                                        TUPELO           MS              99999    1994      1
1001          999 MAIN ST         TUPELO           MS              99999    1996      1

I'd like the STREET for the second row to be "999 MAIN ST" because 92', 94', and 96' IX=1 and Row 1 STREET is the same as Row 2 STREET.

ID               STREET                CITY                 STATE        ZIP        YEAR     IX
1001          999 MAIN ST         TUPELO           MS              99999    1992      1
1001          999 MAIN ST         TUPELO           MS              99999    1994      1
1001          999 MAIN ST         TUPELO           MS              99999    1996      1

As always thank you for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Update per updated code:

proc sql;
  create table WANT as
  select A.ID,
           coalesce(A.STREET,B.STREET) as STREET,
           A.CITY,
           A.STATE,
           A.ZIP,
           A.YEAR,
           A.IX
  from   HAVE A
  left join (select distinct ID,IX,CITY,STATE,ZIP,STREET from HAVE where STREET is not null) B
  on     A.ID=B.ID
  and   A.IX=B.IX
  and   A.CITY=B.CITY
  and   A.STATE=B.STATE
  and   A.ZIP=B.ZIP;
quit;

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Kurt_Bremser
Super User
data set_new (drop=lid lstreet nid nstreet);
merge
  set_old
  set_old (firstobs=2 keep=id street rename=(id=nid street=nstreet))
;
lid = lag(id);
lstreet = lag(street);
if street = . and lid = id and nid = id and lstreet = nstreet then street = lstreet;
run;

UMAnalyst
Obsidian | Level 7

Can this merge execute properly without a BY-statement? Also, is it possible to merge on the same input data twice i.e., "set_old"?

Thanks

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

A MERGE without a BY merges the records in their physical order in the datasets.

And yes, the same dataset can be used more than once in a SET or MERGE statement in a DATA step. Care needs to be taken with the variables by properly KEEPing and RENAMEing them, so you don't get unexpected overwrites.

What I do is I use the LAG() function to get previous values, while reading the same dataset starting at obs=2 gives me the "peek ahead".

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Hi,

So get a list of values where street is not null, then merge that back on.  The coalsce takes the first non-missing.

proc sql;
  create table WANT as
  select A.ID,
           A.CITY,
           A.STATE,
           A.ZIP,
           A.YEAR,
           A.IX
  from   HAVE A
  left join (select distinct ID,IX,STREET from HAVE where STREET is not null) B
  on     A.ID=B.ID
  and   A.IX=B.IX;
quit;
data_null__
Jade | Level 19
What if missing street is first or last, no previous or no next respectively. What if there are 2 or more missing in a row?
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

And what if CITY, STATE or ZIP differ between the previous and next observation?

UMAnalyst
Obsidian | Level 7
Yes, good point. If those other vars i.e., CITY, STATE, and ZIP do not match, then the street-fill should not occur.
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Update per updated code:

proc sql;
  create table WANT as
  select A.ID,
           A.CITY,
           A.STATE,
           A.ZIP,
           A.YEAR,
           A.IX
  from   HAVE A
  left join (select distinct ID,IX,CITY,STATE,ZIP,STREET from HAVE where STREET is not null) B
  on     A.ID=B.ID
  and   A.IX=B.IX
  and   A.CITY=B.CITY
  and   A.STATE=B.STATE
  and   A.ZIP=B.ZIP;
quit;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation