BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
brophymj
Quartz | Level 8

The dataset below is an example of a dataset I'm using only the real dataset has 100s of fields and about 700 rows with different max/min values. 

How do i drop the field names using the max/min values i.e.

data help(keep = Price_&min--Price_max);

set want;

run; 

MinMaxPrice_1Price_2Price_3Price_4Price_5Price_6Price_7Price_8Price_9

My full code is below but it's not working. I think a solution to the simple example above would resolve the issue. 

Thanks

data _NULL_;
if 0 then set test1 nobs=n;
call symputx('nrows',n);
stop;
run;

proc sort data = test1 ; by descending diff; run;

%put &nrows;
%put &m_diff;

data test2;
input coin $50.;
datalines;
run;

%macro temp;

%do j = 1 %to &nrows;

data temp&j(keep = diff coin--maxdate_no Price_USD_&min--Price_USD_&max);
set test1;
if _n_ = &j;
call symputx('min',mindate_no);
call symputx('max',maxdate_no);
run;

%end;

%mend;

7 REPLIES 7
Reeza
Super User

The timing in your logic is incorrect, you're trying to use macro variables before they're created. 

To to be clear, you're trying to keep between price_2 and price_9? The min/max are constants on each row or are they dynamic? You should expand your test case. 

brophymj
Quartz | Level 8

HI Reeza

Yes, in the example above I'm trying to keep price_2-price_9. The max and min will be different for each row I want to create a new dataset for each row, keep the rows between the price_min and price_max defined by the min and max field

Reeza
Super User

@brophymj wrote:

HI Reeza

Yes, in the example above I'm trying to keep price_2-price_9. The max and min will be different for each row I want to create a new dataset for each row, keep the rows between the price_min and price_max defined by the min and max field

Post a bigger example including sample output. It's inclear how the output will be formatted. You can't KEEP different variables on each row. . 

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

You misunderstand the concept of rows and columns.  Columns are structure - this is what allows you to program with them, they are fixed throughout the data, same type etc.  In the case you give, this may be possible as you only have one row, but if you have more than one, what happes if row 1 wants to drop column 1 and row 2 wants to keep it.  

What you should be doing is, find what value is the min and what is the max, put these in variables and then keep those variables and example:

data want (keep=keep_min keep_max);
  set have;
  array vals{*} price_:;
  keep_min=vals{min};
  keep_max=vals{max};
run;

In fact, you can drop the whole code you have doing there and do it far simpler:

data want (keep=min max);
  set have;
  min=min(of price_:);
  max=max(of price_:);
run;

Do try to avoid overcomplicating things by thinking like Excel.

brophymj
Quartz | Level 8

HI RW9

That won't work for my dataset. I want to keep all the fields between the min and max. The min and max will be diffeent for each row so i need to create a different dataset for each row and then deploy the code to keep the fields specified by the min and max fields. 

I tried this but it didn't work. If i define the min and max, then I have just two fields that are kept... I need all the fields between the max and min (and this will be different for each row in the original dataset)

%macro temp;

%do j = 1 %to &nrows;

data temp&j (keep=diff coin--maxdate_no vname(vals{mindate_no})--vname(vals{maxdate_no}));
set test1;
if _n_ = &j;
array vals{*} price_:;
run;

%end;

%mend;

%temp;

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Then normalise your data (put the data going down rather than across) as you are looking for data rows which fall between min and max: from

Min Max Price_1 Price_2 Price_3 Price_4 Price_5 Price_6 Price_7 Price_8 Price_9
2 9 1.01 1.02 1.838399 2.609743 2.932246

To:

Price   Value

1        1.01

2        1.02

Then its simple select * from have where value between min(value) and max(value).  I would question the steps before which have left you with multiple datasets for the same data, and columns defining datarows.  

Astounding
PROC Star

Your easiest method might be to use variable lists.  For example:

(keep = diff coin--maxdate_no Price_USD_: )

The colon means all variable names that begin with "Price_USD_" which probably gives you only the ones that you want.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation