BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
djbateman
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I have a reporting situation that I cannot figure out.  I have a vertical dataset, and there are typically 2 rows per visit (left and right laterality).  I am checking the data for discrepancies.  If a discrepancy exists for a given visit for either laterality, then I want to do output both rows regardless of whether or not the other laterality has a discrepancy.

For simplicity, here is some sample data:

data test;
 input SUBJ $ VISIT LAT $ DISCREP $;
 cards;
101-101 1 Left yes
101-101 1 Right yes
101-101 2 Left no
101-101 2 Right no
101-101 3 Left yes
101-101 3 Right no
101-101 4 Left no
101-101 4 Right no
101-102 1 Left no
101-102 1 Right no
101-102 2 Left yes
101-102 2 Right no
101-102 3 Left no
101-102 3 Right no
;
run;

This is what the final table should show:

SUBJ VISIT LAT DISCREP
101-101 1 Left yes
101-101 1 Right yes
101-101 3 Left yes
101-101 3 Right  no
101-102 2 Left yes
101-102 2 Right  no

Any ideas on how to do this?  I'm guessing something with a RETAIN statement.  I'm sure it will be extremely simple, but my brain is done for the day.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

A relatively simple end-of-day solution:

data want;

wanted='N';

do until (last.visit);

set have;

by subj visit;

if discrep='yes' then wanted='Y';

end;

do until (last.visit);

set have;

by subj visit;

if wanted='Y' then output;

end;

drop wanted;

run;

The top loop examines both observations, and the bottom loop outputs either zero or both observations.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Astounding
PROC Star

A relatively simple end-of-day solution:

data want;

wanted='N';

do until (last.visit);

set have;

by subj visit;

if discrep='yes' then wanted='Y';

end;

do until (last.visit);

set have;

by subj visit;

if wanted='Y' then output;

end;

drop wanted;

run;

The top loop examines both observations, and the bottom loop outputs either zero or both observations.

ilikesas
Barite | Level 11

Hi Astounding,

I have a small question about the workings of your code:

In the first part when you decide to make wanted='Y' when discrep = 'yes', does your code give the value 'Y' to all of the entries within the subject-visit block if the value 'yes' appears at least once, and then in the second part output all the observations where wanted = 'Y',

Or , you give the value 'Y' only to the observation that has 'yes', and in the second part output the subject-visit block if 'Y' appears at least once.

Thanks

Astounding
PROC Star

I'm sorry to say, the answer is that it depends.

The code changes WANTED to "Y" the first time it encounters "yes".  From that point forward (to the end of the BY group), WANTED remains "Y".  You can observe the behavior by adding this statement inside the first loop:

put wanted=;

More important, the top loop does not output any observations.  Its key function is to change WANTED in the PDV, where SAS is storing the current value of all variables.  Once WANTED becomes "Y", there is no code to change it to anything else (neither to "N" nor to a blank) until the second loop has completed.

ilikesas
Barite | Level 11

I tried to modify the original data in the following way:

101-101 3 Left no
101-101 3 Right yes

so for the 3rd visit of subject 101-101, Left is "no" and Right is "yes" - so the code will see the "no" and then see the"yes" - but nevertheless in the final want data all the info will be displayed.

So even if SAS encounters the condition for the last observation within a specific subject-visit block, it applies it to the previous  observations even if they didn't have the condition? 

Astounding
PROC Star

It doesn't really apply to the previous observations.  It just sets WANTED and leaves it that way.  Remember, the first DO loop doesn't output anything, it only reads some observations and calculates WANTED.

The reason you get all the observations (within the block) output is that the second DO loop reads exactly the same observations as the first DO loop.  The second DO loop looks at the previously-assigned value for WANTED, when determining which observations to output.

rogerjdeangelis
Barite | Level 11
data have;
input SUBJ $ VISIT LAT $ DISCREP $;
cards4;
101-101 1 Left yes
101-101 1 Right yes
101-101 2 Left no
101-101 2 Right no
101-101 3 Left yes
101-101 3 Right no
101-101 4 Left no
101-101 4 Right no
101-102 1 Left no
101-102 1 Right no
101-102 2 Left yes
101-102 2 Right no
101-102 3 Left no
101-102 3 Right no
;;;;
run;

data want;
  retain flag .; /* not necessary but I like it for clarity */
  do until (last.visit);
    set have;
    by visit notsorted;
    if discrep='yes' then flag=1;
  end;
  do until (last.visit);
    set have;
    by visit notsorted;
    if flag then output;
  end;
  flag=.;
run;quit;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation