BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
marysmith
Calcite | Level 5

Hey guys,

I have a dataset with 9 Variables and 300 Observations. Now I want to keep some Observations based on some conditions.

I have a variable Notificationdate and I only need Observations between the 01/01/2014 and the 31/12/2016 and Observations where Art_der_Anzeige = Erstanzeige. I tried so many options but neither would work. Thank you!

data saspms.datensatz_new;
set saspms.datensatz_pms_neu;
where notificationdate <= 01/01/2014 & >= 31/12/2016 ;

where Art_der_Anzeige= Erstanzeige;
run;

or

keep if notificationdate <= 01/01/2014 & >= 31/12/2016 and keep if Art_der_Anzeige= Erstanzeige;
run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Then your first step should be converting your dates stored as character into real SAS date values. Since we now need to work with a newly created variable, switch from a where condition to a subsetting if:

format n_date ddmmyy10.;
n_date = input(notificationdate,ddmmyy10.);
if '01jan2014'd <= n_date <= '31dec2016'd and Art_der_Anzeige = "Erstanzeige";
run;

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Do this:

where '01jan2014'd <= notificationdate <= '31dec2016'd and Art_der_Anzeige = "Erstanzeige";
run;

Note:

• character literals must be enclosed in quotes
  • date literals are specified in the above manner; other date notations only work in an input function with a proper informat
marysmith
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you for your quick respond. But unfortunately I got an error message:
ERROR: WHERE clause operator requires compatible variables.
What does it mean?

Thank you so much!
marysmith
Calcite | Level 5
Yeah I did that. Both a character Variables..
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Then your first step should be converting your dates stored as character into real SAS date values. Since we now need to work with a newly created variable, switch from a where condition to a subsetting if:

format n_date ddmmyy10.;
n_date = input(notificationdate,ddmmyy10.);
if '01jan2014'd <= n_date <= '31dec2016'd and Art_der_Anzeige = "Erstanzeige";
run;

marysmith
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you so much! That helped me a lot.
But what if there is even more conditions? Just realized that I need something else. My Variable Art_der_Anzeige has 4 values: Erstanzeige, Änderungsanzeige, Beendigung, Abschlussbericht, I need all the cases where I have "Erstanzeige" between 2014-2016 and Änderungsanzeige/Abschlussbericht/Beendigung after 2014.
I tried it like this but it didnt work 😞
data saspms.versuch;
format n_date1 ddmmyy10.;
n_date1 = input(notificationdate,ddmmyy10.);
if "01jan2014"d <= n_date1 Art_der_Anzeige = "Erstanzeige" or if Art_der_Anzeige NE "Erstanzeige" and n_date >= "01jan2014"d ;
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The syntax for the subsetting if is this:

if condition ;

A condition is a piece of boolean logic; boolean operators are not, and, or.

So your second if is wrong syntax, it should be

if "01jan2014"d <= n_date1 <= '31dec2016'd and Art_der_Anzeige = "Erstanzeige" or Art_der_Anzeige ne "Erstanzeige" and n_date >= "01jan2014"d;

Note that, in boolean logic, not is evaluated before and, and and before or.

s_lassen
Meteorite | Level 14

The KEEP statement is not used to limit the number of observations, but the number of variables. But the WHERE statement does what you want. Only you should limit it to one statement, which combines the two conditions. And then you need to change your SAS date constants (I assume that your dates are SAS dates in the format DDMMYY10.):

where '01JAN2014'd <= notificationdate <= '31DEC2016'D 
    and Art_der_Anzeige= Erstanzeige;
run;

srinath3111
Quartz | Level 8

where notificationdate between  "01/01/2014"d and  "31/12/2016"d and Art_der_Anzeige="Erstanzeige";
run;

srinath3111
Quartz | Level 8

proc sql;

create table saspms.datensatz_new as 

select * from saspms.datensatz_pms_neu where

notificationdate between("01/01/2014"d and  "31/12/2016"d) and Art_der_Anzeige="Erstanzeige";

quit;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation