BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Walternate
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I have a dataset at the person level that has ID and yearly values of a secondary ID that link to Dataset 2:

Dataset 1:

ID     Dataset2_ID_2009     Dataset2_ID_2010      Dataset2_ID_2011

1            123                                  123                            234

2            234                                                                    456

As you can see, the secondary ID can be missing in a given year, and can either change or stay the same from year to year. 

Dataset 2 has the Dataset2 IDs in rows with a start and end date, as well as two categorical vars that are true as of the start and end dates:

Dataset 2:

Dataset_2_ID       Start_dt         End_dt              Categ_var1          Categ_var2

123                       1/3/2000       10/02/2012             abc                    def

123                       2/5/2013       12/01/2013             ghi                     jkl

234                       7/1/2001       9/3/2012                 abc                    def

456                       9/3/2001       4/5/2003                 ghi                     jkl

456                      8/7/2010       5/17/2014                mno                  pqr

What I want is to keep the form of Dataset 1 but pull in the value of Categ_var1 and Categ_var2 as of January 1st of the year of Dataset_2_ID (for all years), like this:

Final dataset:

ID     Dataset2_ID_2009   Categ_var_1_2009  Categ_var_2_2009    Dataset2_ID_2010   Categ_var_1_2010  Categ_var_2_2010   

1            123                                  abc                        def                            123                              abc                           def

(first row continued)

Dataset2_ID_2011    Categ_var_1_2011         Categ_var_2_2011

234                                     abc                                    def

I know how to do this the long way by splitting Dataset 1 into yearly cohorts and doing a join for each year, but I'm hoping that there is a way to do it with fewer steps. 

Any help is much appreciated. 

3 REPLIES 3
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Dataset1 has bit odd layout. And I'm a bit disturb about dataset 2 id value 234 repeats between different dataset 1 id's..?
Assuming the your yearly cohorts are defined by the dataset 2 id's in dataset1.
And, having data in wide format almost always complicates stuff. Transpose dataset1 and the it's a matter of a simple join operation.
Data never sleeps
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

I agree with @LinusH, your first dataset looks odd.  I haven't time as leaving now, but re-arrange your code so that "data" items are in columns, this will make your life much easier:

ID        YEAR      LINK

1          2009       123

1          2010       123

Its never a good idea to put "data" in column names.

mbuchecker
Quartz | Level 8

You could transpose the first data set, join, and then re-transpose. The following code is not complete but should get you going in the right direction.

proc transpose data=work.one out=transone;
id id;
var Dataset2_ID_2009 Dataset2_ID_2010 Dataset2_ID_2011;
run;
data transone2 (drop=_name_);
set transone;
_name_ = substr(right(_name_), 13, 4);
year=input(_name_, 4.);
run;

proc sql;
select *
from transone2, two
where year between year(start_dt) and year(end_dt);
run;

Michelle

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation