BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
cindyforest7
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

This community is so awesome that I have learnt so many useful SAS tricks and techniques by asking questions and reading other's posts!

Now I have a table and I need to keep adding values of a variable from row to row and for each unique combination of keys.

Table have:

Member_name      provider_name      visit_date       visit_cost

aaa                       bbb                       1/1/2013         10

aaa                       bbb                       1/12/2013        40

aaa                       bbb                        2/23/2013        30

ccc                       bbb                        4/28/2012        100

ccc                       bbb                        5/1/2012           120

ccc                       bbb                         12/1/2012          50

ccc                       bbb                          1/3/2013          40

Table want:   (I want to create a new variable called cost_incre)

Member_name      provider_name      visit_date       visit_cost          cost_incre

aaa                       bbb                       1/1/2013         10                  10

aaa                       bbb                       1/12/2013        40                  50

aaa                       bbb                        2/23/2013        30                 80

ccc                       bbb                        4/28/2012        100               100

ccc                       bbb                        5/1/2012           120               220

ccc                       bbb                         12/1/2012          50               270

ccc                       bbb                          1/3/2013          40               310

For a unique combination of member_name and provider_name, the cost_incre increases as visit_date increases.

Does any one know how to do this? I'm really bad at iterative steps.....do I need to create a counter for this?

Appreciated!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Chrishi
Calcite | Level 5

The above answer from ballardw is good but need small change instesd of first.provide_name  replace it with member_name.

Assuming the data is sorted by Member_name, provider_name and visit_date. If not sorted then do so before the next step.

data want;

set have;

retain cost_incr .;

by Member_name provider_name;

if first.member_name then cost_incr = visit_cost;

else cost_incr = cost_incr + visit_cost;

run;

Hope this solves you issue.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ballardw
Super User

Assuming the data is sorted by Member_name, provider_name and visit_date. If not sorted then do so before the next step.

data want;

set have;

Reatin cost_incr .;

If first.provider_name then cost_incr = visit_cost;

end;

might get you close.

Chrishi
Calcite | Level 5

The above answer from ballardw is good but need small change instesd of first.provide_name  replace it with member_name.

data want;

set have;

retain cost_incr .;

if first.member_name then cost_incr = visit_cost;

run;

Hope this solves you issue.

cindyforest7
Calcite | Level 5

THANK YOU!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation