BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Reeza
Super User

We have a data sheet that many employees enter daily and we'd like to read the excel spreadsheet.
Unfortunately sometimes people have it open when we want to read it, so besides sending out mass emails asking someone to close the file is there a way to read the file while it is open.

I was able to write a libname statement to connect to the file, but then it wouldn't read the data.

I'm on SAS 9.2, Windows XP and Excel 2010.

1 REPLY 1
OS2Rules
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi:

We have exactly the same problem.  I think the solution was to issue a DOS COPY for the Excel file to some other (perhaps temporary) location and read that file.

If I remember, the DOS COPY will read the file even is someone leaves it open.

Just remember, if that user saves something new to the spreadsheet, you will not see that change.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation