%macro combineYears(Year1, Year2, Year3, Year4, Year5);

do year1 to year5;

/*process logic*/

end;
%end;

4 REPLIES 4
Astounding
PROC Star

Yes, but it would be easier if you get rid of the commas between the values.  Here's some documentation:

https://blogs.sas.com/content/sastraining/2015/01/30/sas-authors-tip-getting-the-macro-language-to-p...

Reeza
Super User

Depends on how you want to use it. You may end up finding that a %DO loop may work just as well. 

You can also check out examples  3 and 4 here:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/SAS-9-4-Macro-Language-Reference-Has-a-New-Ap...

Satish_Parida
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

It can be done as follows.

%macro combineYears(Year1, Year2, Year3, Year4, Year5);
%do i=1 %to 5;
	%put year= &&year&i;
	/*process logic*/
%end;
%mend combineYears;

%combineYears(2000, 2001, 2010, 2015, 2018);

*LOG

year= 2000
year= 2001
year= 2010
year= 2015
year= 2018

It will be good if you also pass the number of years you are passing and use to loop control.

Please let us know if it helped. 

ballardw
Super User

@Satish_Parida your approach, while it will work would have issues if the user only wants to process 2 years and would require a diffent macro to process any different number of year.

This is what @Astounding meant by getting rid of commas:

%macro combineYears(YearList);
%do i=1 %to %sysfunc(countw(&yearlist));
	%put year= %scan(&yearlist,&i);

/*process logic*/
%end;
%mend combineYears;

%combineYears(2000 2001 2010 2015 2018);

which will process any explicit list of one or more items. Note that we have no check for and empty list though nothing inside the %do loop will happen so likely okay for that, or checks to ensure that the values in the list are valid for any other purpose.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation