BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ericliuzh1
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

My answer is E to the question below but SAS answer key is C.

With the system option VALIDVARNAME=ANY, which of the following variable names is valid?

a. 4BirthDate

b. $Cost

c. _Items_

d. Tax-Rate

e. All of the above

According to the definition, I believe that a, b, and d are all valid names. Can someone let me know why E is not a correct answer?

Thanks.

Eric

4 REPLIES 4
ericliuzh1
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks, Kurt. It makes sense now!

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I can see why you are confused. I suggest you re-read the section of your study guide that deals with VALIDVARNAME and n-literals to see if it makes a distinction between those two concepts. You are correct that all of the variables are valid if you use them as n-literals such as

data _null_;

'4BirthDate'n = 1;
'$Cost'n = 2;
_Items_ = 3;
'Tax-Rate'n = 4;

run;

However, C is the only variable name that you can use without embedding the name into an n-literal, as shown.

ericliuzh1
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for the examples! I got it now!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation