DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Is SAS really smart enough to switch XP paths to Windows 7 paths?

Occasional Contributor

Is SAS really smart enough to switch XP paths to Windows 7 paths?

Our organization is currently in the process of migrating from Windows XP. As you may know, the path to a user's documents folder changes during that migration, from

C:\Documents and Settings\<userid>\My Documents, in XP

C:\Users\<userid>\My Documents in Win 7

One of our SAS users has a lot of data -- including SAS datasets, .csv files and other external files, in her My Documents folder, and she has written a lot of programs with INFILE and LIBNAME statements that point to the XP path: c:\document and settings\...

When she moved to Win 7 she expected to have to change the paths on all these statements, but she tried running a program anyway -- and it worked. The program found the datasets and libraries in the C:\Users locations. But, strangely, the logs and properties pages all showed the files at physical locations on the c:\documents and settings path.

I'm not complaining -- I think it's pretty cool that SAS is smart enough to convert these paths on the fly -- but I wonder if someone can confirm my analysis of what happened, so I can reassure my user that her programs really are working correctly.

Super User
Super User

Re: Is SAS really smart enough to switch XP paths to Windows 7 paths?

I think that is a Windows feature and not something that SAS has done.

Super User

Re: Is SAS really smart enough to switch XP paths to Windows 7 paths?

Maybe you need to check environment variable TEMP(note: it is user variable, not system variable . )  under WIN7 ,and add "C:\Documents and Settings\<userid>\My Documents"  into it.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation