BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

All, 
     Wondering what this error is trying to prompt me towards and how may I fix it. 

Objective : Macro making API call and should receive ZIP file in response 

Errors from Log: 

ERROR: Invalid JSON in input near line 1 column 1: Encountered an illegal character.
         ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.

ERROR: Libref IN is not assigned.

SAS CODE

filename ProjResp "<MyFileName.zip>";
libname in json "<MyFileName.zip>";

PROC HTTP
URL = &URLDes.
Method = "get"
out = ProjResp;
headers "Authorization" = "Bearer &AccessToken.";
Run;

Proc Contents Data = in._all_;
Run;
%Mend; 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

Here's the code I was using, it doesn't work anymore because I think they've changed their naming conventions but the idea is the same I think. This was designed to download a ZIP file from Statistics Canada, store it into the work folder and then read it in. This also assumed that I knew the name of the file inside the ZIP file. 

%let CANSIM=02820087;
/* create a name for our downloaded ZIP */
%let ziploc = %sysfunc(getoption(work))/&cansim.-eng.zip;
filename download "&ziploc";

/* Download the ZIP file from the Internet*/
proc http
 method='GET'
 url="http://www20.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/cansim/csv/&cansim.-eng.zip"
 out=download;
run;

filename inzip zip "&ziploc";
filename xl "%sysfunc(getoption(work))/&cansim.-eng-csv";

data _null_;
   /* using member syntax here */
   infile inzip(&cansim.-eng.csv) 
       lrecl=256 recfm=F length=length eof=eof unbuf;
   file   xl lrecl=256 recfm=N;
   input;
   put _infile_ $varying256. length;
   return;
 eof:
   stop;
run;

proc import datafile=xl dbms=csv out=confirmed replace;guessingrows=1000000;
run;

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Reeza
Super User

Can you direct a JSON library to a ZIP file? I would think it would need to be pointed at the JSON file directly not the ZIP version. There is a ZIP connection as well to access to the text files directly. 

libname in json "<MyFileName.zip>";
UdayGuntupalli
Quartz | Level 8

@Reeza , 
          Would you recommend re-directing it to a txt file ? If yes, can you kindly point me to an example on how to identify/parse the different files that are captured in the response ? 

filename ProjResp "<MyFileName.txt>"; 
libname in json "<MyFileName.txt>"; 

PROC HTTP 
  		URL = &URLDes. 
  		Method = "get"
  		out = ProjResp; 
  		headers "Authorization" = "Bearer &AccessToken.";
  	Run; 

I updated my script as shown above. However, the text file is not readable and am wondering if the normal json parse as follows will be sufficient ? 

data want; 
      set in.root; 
run; 

Because, I am not sure, how I can separate the different files expected as part of the output. Can you offer a little more guidance or point me to an example. Would appreciate it. 

Reeza
Super User
I don't know what you're trying to do though, you just posted some code, didn't actually explain and there's nothing I can run to test things. For JSON I would suggest google Chris Hemidenger and seeing what his blog posts cover. This isn't a file type I work with often enough and I only installed 9.4 TS1M5 recently which has the JSON support.
Reeza
Super User
Sorry, I do see you're hitting an API and returning a ZIP file. That's problematic tbh, a good API should return XML or JSON IMO. Anyways, I do have some code that does this, but it's at home so I'll post it later. If someone else hasn't answered it. But in general you'll need to get the zip file, save it and then process it, which is a bit of a process that you need to define. For example where are you planning to store the files and do you leave them there or delete somehow?
Reeza
Super User

Here's the code I was using, it doesn't work anymore because I think they've changed their naming conventions but the idea is the same I think. This was designed to download a ZIP file from Statistics Canada, store it into the work folder and then read it in. This also assumed that I knew the name of the file inside the ZIP file. 

%let CANSIM=02820087;
/* create a name for our downloaded ZIP */
%let ziploc = %sysfunc(getoption(work))/&cansim.-eng.zip;
filename download "&ziploc";

/* Download the ZIP file from the Internet*/
proc http
 method='GET'
 url="http://www20.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/cansim/csv/&cansim.-eng.zip"
 out=download;
run;

filename inzip zip "&ziploc";
filename xl "%sysfunc(getoption(work))/&cansim.-eng-csv";

data _null_;
   /* using member syntax here */
   infile inzip(&cansim.-eng.csv) 
       lrecl=256 recfm=F length=length eof=eof unbuf;
   file   xl lrecl=256 recfm=N;
   input;
   put _infile_ $varying256. length;
   return;
 eof:
   stop;
run;

proc import datafile=xl dbms=csv out=confirmed replace;guessingrows=1000000;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation