BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Mikeyjh
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, Hopefully a simple question.

I need to input a string variable from a csv file that can be of any length from 0 to 32K characters. The maximum length is unkown at the time of import and I would like to set the variable size to the actual maximum length in the csv file. So I think I need to use $varyingw but looking at examples it seems like the length needs to be defined in the input file or is set to the record length. What is the best way of inputting this field?

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dmitry
Obsidian | Level 7

In such cases I sometimes read file with maximum length (32767, e.g.) and then decrease the length of the variable down to the maximum length of values.

proc sql noprint;

select max(length(variable)) into :maxlen

from mydata;

quit;

options varlenchk=nowarn;

data mydata;

length variable $&maxlen;

set mydata;

run;

options varlenchk=warn;

VARLENCHK-option is necessary if you want to avoid warning from SAS that you may truncate some values.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If you are reading it from a CSV file you do not need to do anything other than define the variable long enough.

data want ;

infile 'myfile.csv' dsd lrecl=2000000 ;

length id 8 string $32767 ;

input id string;

run;

Mikeyjh
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Tom. So is there any disc space issues in setting the length so big? Also, if the maximum length was 259 characters (for example, but I dont know this beforehand) is there is no way I can implement the input statement to default to 259 when executed?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If you know that the maximum possible length then define the variable using that length.  So in my example change the 32767 (which is maximum possible variable length) to 259.  You can also change the LRECL on the INFILE statement, but I doubt that would have much impact on performance.

SAS stores all character variables as fixed length.  But if you use the COMPRESS dataset option then the extra empty space does not take much space on the disk.

Tal
Pyrite | Level 9 Tal
Pyrite | Level 9

is 2000000 the max lrecl,Tom?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I am sure it depends on the operating system and SAS version. On SAS 9.2 running on 64 bit unix I can use LRECL up to

1,073,741,823 (which 2**31 -1) without getting a syntax error.

Tal
Pyrite | Level 9 Tal
Pyrite | Level 9

thanks Tom

Dmitry
Obsidian | Level 7

In such cases I sometimes read file with maximum length (32767, e.g.) and then decrease the length of the variable down to the maximum length of values.

proc sql noprint;

select max(length(variable)) into :maxlen

from mydata;

quit;

options varlenchk=nowarn;

data mydata;

length variable $&maxlen;

set mydata;

run;

options varlenchk=warn;

VARLENCHK-option is necessary if you want to avoid warning from SAS that you may truncate some values.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation