BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ScottBass
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi,

Please see SAS(R) 9.3 Statements: Reference, examples #7 and #8.

Sample Code:

data dups (index=(x / nomiss));

do x=1 to 10;

y=x*2;

z=x**2;

output;

output;

output;

end;

run;

data nodups (index=(x));

do x=2 to 10 by 2;

output;

end;

run;

data final1;

set nodups;

set dups key=x;

run;

data final2;

set nodups;

set dups key=x / unique;

run;

data final3;

set dups;

set nodups key=x;

foo=0+y;

run;

data final4;

set dups;

set nodups key=x / unique;

foo=0+y;

run;

I quote Example 8:

This example uses the KEY= option to perform a table lookup. The DATA step reads a primary data set that is named INVTORY, which is indexed on PARTNO, and a lookup data set named PARTCODE. PARTCODE contains quantities of new stock (variable NEW_STK). The UNIQUE option ensures that, if there are any duplicate observations in INVTORY, values of NEW_STK are added only to the first observation of the group.

I'm probably just misunderstanding the documentation, but shouldn't I expect different results for final3 and final4?  If these results are as you expect, can you further explain the underlined bit above?

Thanks,

Scott

Please post your question as a self-contained data step in the form of "have" (source) and "want" (desired results).
I won't contribute to your post if I can't cut-and-paste your syntactically correct code into SAS.
2 REPLIES 2
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

If you add a variable to NODUPS you will see a difference.

ScottBass
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Thanks Data.

I changed my test code as below and now see the difference.  From reading the example in the doc, I would have expected to see the difference in Final3 and Final4, not Final1 and Final2.  Am I just mis-reading the doc, or is the example wrong?

I was pleased to see that repeated calls to set dups key=x retrieved the next record matching the key, rather than continually retrieving the first record.  This, coupled with _iorc_, would allow building a Cartesian product if you know or expect the lookup dataset to have non-unique keys.

With my "real" data, I've got a small transaction dataset, but millions of records in SCD2 dimension tables.  I also need this lookup to be fast, as it's for an online (stored process) application.  This approach was blindingly quick - much faster than hash object join or SQL (even with indexes).  Like 0.5 seconds vs. 45 seconds using hash objects.

I've been programming SAS a while, and this technique has been in the doc even longer - too bad I never connected the dots until now Smiley Happy.  As you say in your profile, I'm (still) learning SAS.

I think this approach will be very useful for our ETL/Data Warehouse processing.

Thanks again Data.

data dups (index=(x / nomiss));

do x=1 to 10;

y=x*2;

z+1;output;

z+1;output;

z+1;output;

end;

run;

data nodups (index=(x));

do x=2 to 10 by 2;

a=x**4;

output;

end;

run;

data final1;

set nodups;

do i=1 to 4;

set dups key=x;

rc=_iorc_;

output;

end;

run;

data final2;

set nodups;

do i=1 to 4;

set dups key=x / unique;

rc=_iorc_;

output;

end;

run;

data final3;

set dups;

set nodups key=x;

foo=0+y;

bar=0+a;

run;

data final4;

set dups;

set nodups key=x / unique;

foo=0+y;

bar=0+a;

run;

Please post your question as a self-contained data step in the form of "have" (source) and "want" (desired results).
I won't contribute to your post if I can't cut-and-paste your syntactically correct code into SAS.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation