BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Sharvthegreat
Calcite | Level 5

I am currently trying to import a txt file into sas most of the line have a column name followed by the respective values,

EXCEPT for this... the column name is on one line followed by another 4 values which are a subset of the first line as shown below for Arm_Yield, what I need to do is to assign respective subcolumn names to each record.

How do I get SAS to assign a value based on the specific row, given I have to import multiples of these txt files and the values are constantly changing. Good thing is they are always on the same line for each file.

The picture on the left is what I am currently at, On the right is what I want to have.

Currently i am just using a scan function to split the lines into column and input value.

Thanks

SAS 9.4

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

I see, "else" names are a combination of last col_name as prefix and the suffix.

you can retain the last col_name as prefix. 

Here is the code:

data want;
 set have;
       retain i prefix; 
       array suffix $ ch1-ch4 {'A' 'B' 'C' 'D'}; /* line syntax was fixed */
drop i prefix ch1-ch4;
if substr(left(raw_line),1,1) = '<' then do; col_name = scan(raw_line,1,'<>'); prefix = col_name; col_value = scan(raw_line,2,'<>'); i=0; end; else do; i+1; col_name = compress(prefix || suffix(i)); col_value = raw_line; end; run;

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

Some of your raw lines start with '<' then you can assign:

if substr(left(raw_line),1,1) = '<' then do;
   col_name = scan(raw_line,1,'<>');
   col_value = scan(raw_line,2,'<>');
end;

Sas will not accept colomn name like '36.84%' as it is nonvalid sas name.

In such case you may name the variables as var1 var2 ... and assign the '36.84%' as a label to it.

I see there are various values: 36.84% 60.48% 58.58% 67.47% 43.37% ...etc. - which seems to be unpredictable amount of variables

and cann't tell if any of them apears once or more times.

I undestand that the right table is the answer/solution to this situation, then, proposed code is

data want;
 set have;
       retain i; drop i;
       array suffix $ _temporary_ {'A' 'B' 'C' 'D'}; /* I'm not sure about exact order/syntax */

if substr(left(raw_line),1,1) = '<' then do;
   col_name = scan(raw_line,1,'<>');
   col_value = scan(raw_line,2,'<>');
   i=0;
end;
else do;
   i+1;
   col_name = 'Arm1_Yield_' || suffix(i);
   col_value = raw_line;
end;
run;

Sharvthegreat
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Shmuel,
Thanks for the reply,
However, apologies on my part, i forgot to mention that I have raw lines which dont have < such as:

Temperature : 56

I am currently using many IF statements for my scan function. The only thing unique about these rows that do not have column names are that they contain a number with a %.

for the code here

else do;
i+1;
col_name = 'Arm1_Yield_' || suffix(i);
col_value = raw_line;
end;

I have also columns for Arm2_Yield , All_Yield etc as seen in the picture above,
at this rate I would have duplicate column names in my final data set. I need SAS to recognize these names and then assign the approriate suffix respectively.

Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

I see, "else" names are a combination of last col_name as prefix and the suffix.

you can retain the last col_name as prefix. 

Here is the code:

data want;
 set have;
       retain i prefix; 
       array suffix $ ch1-ch4 {'A' 'B' 'C' 'D'}; /* line syntax was fixed */
drop i prefix ch1-ch4;
if substr(left(raw_line),1,1) = '<' then do; col_name = scan(raw_line,1,'<>'); prefix = col_name; col_value = scan(raw_line,2,'<>'); i=0; end; else do; i+1; col_name = compress(prefix || suffix(i)); col_value = raw_line; end; run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation