DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Importing data with special characters with SAS 9.1.3 with dbms = xls

New Contributor

Importing data with special characters with SAS 9.1.3 with dbms = xls

hi all,

I am facing problem while importing excel file data with special characters. I am working with SAS 9.1.3 Unix platform and using proc import with dbms = xls statement.

proc import datafile = "patient_data.xls" out = lot_file dbms = xls replace;
getnames = no;
mixed=yes;
sheet = "lot";;
textsize = 32767;
run;

Please suggest.

Thanks,

manjan

Super User

Re: Importing data with special characters with SAS 9.1.3 with dbms = xls

And what IS your problem?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
New Contributor

Posted in reply to KurtBremser

hi KurtBremser,

Thank you for your response.

The issue is special characters in the data are not imported correctly.

For example:  The excel file has data:

"Analysis of  Number (%) of Subjects Reporting Ctrough >20 μg/mL  at Cycle 5 (Pre dose Cycle 6 ) - Per Protocol Population".

But after importing the μ is replaced with some ¼ .

Please see attached screen shot of the same.

Thanks,

Manjan

Super User

Looks like you have a discrepancy between the session encoding of SAS and the encoding of the Excel file (most probably UTF-8).

Either you need to tinker around with the SAS session encoding, or you could correct those characters by using the translate() function.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Contributor

Posted in reply to KurtBremser

hi KurtBremser,

Thank you for your quick response.

My SAS sesson encoding is WLATIN1 and i cant use translate as this code should be working dynamically.

Also i see one article

"The Impact of Change from wlatin1 to UTF-8 Encoding in SAS Environment" suggesting that

"DBMS=XLS does not support the multiple-byte characters! Thus, you cannot create
(or import) via PROC EXPORT/PROC IMPORT a .XLS file with characters like μ in UTF-8 encoding SAS
environment.".

So is their a way to import XLS files with special characters with SAS 9.1.3 on unix environment ?

Thanks,

manjan

Super User

I handled a similar problem (mainframe ebcdic data with german codepage to UNIX(AIX) with en-US) by creating a macro that contains the translate function for all the German "Umlauts" and applying that to all strings read from the mainframe. After that, a single change to the macro will have an impact in all programs using it, making maintenance quite easy.

Since SAS obviously does not support UTF in the dbms=xls in proc import 8as per your quoted article), I suggest to switch from xls to a more sensible file format. Use CSV or another text-based file format for transfer, and it is that much easier to deal with codepage and multibyte character problems.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation