BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
trash
Fluorite | Level 6

I am asked to do a simple linear regression where Y= Total SAT and X= Expenditure. I was given a excel spreadsheet to import (attached). Here is my code:

LIBNAME MyLib "D:\Statistical Data Management\MyLib\";
     proc import datafile = "D:\Statistical Data Management\MyLib\Projects\Project #2\SAT.xlsx"
             out=TotalSATScore
             dbms=xlsx
             replace;
             sheet="Sheet1";
             getnames=yes;
run;
PROC UNIVARIATE;
            VAR Expenditure TotalSATScore ;
             HISTOGRAM/NORMAL;
TITLE1 'PROC UNIVARIATE FOR THE VARIABLE Total SAT Score and Expenditure';
TITLE2 'INCLUDES TEST OF NORMALITY';
RUN;
TITLE1;
TITLE2;

SYMBOL VALUE=DOT COLOR=BLACK;

PROC REG SIMPLE DATA=TotalSATScore;
            MODEL TotalSATScore=Expenditure;
            OUTPUT OUT=PREDRES P=PREDICTED R=RESIDUAL;
            PLOT TotalSATScore*Expenditure RESIDUAL.*Expenditure;
RUN;

/*Normality Check of Residuals */
PROC UNIVARIATE DATA=PredRes NORMAL;
            VAR RESIDUAL;
            HISTOGRAM/normal;
            PROBPLOT/normal(mu=est sigma=est);
            QQPLOT/normal(mu=est sigma=est);
TITLE 'Normality Check of Residuals';
RUN;
title;
quit;

However, my log says that the variable "TotalSATScore" is not found. My question: how do I fix that? How do I adjust for tha variable when it has 3 words. Since I can't get passed that, I do not have any output yet. If possible, could you see if the rest of the code looks okay? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

1. It is never a good idea to have the same name for a data set and a variable. You have a data set called TotalSATScore and a variable called TotalSATScore

2. Secondly, it is a good idea to specify a data set in your procedures instead of relying on the procedure to figure it out. Therefore write PROC UNIVARIATE data=TotalSATScore instead in your first Univariate Procedure.

3. Run the following code

proc contents data=TotalSATScore;run;

and see what variables you have in your data set. If SAS tells you that a variable is not there, it is not there. So Check the Contents Procedure and see what the desired variable is actually called, if it is there at all. If it is not, then check your Import Procedure for errors or post your entire log for more information.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

1. It is never a good idea to have the same name for a data set and a variable. You have a data set called TotalSATScore and a variable called TotalSATScore

2. Secondly, it is a good idea to specify a data set in your procedures instead of relying on the procedure to figure it out. Therefore write PROC UNIVARIATE data=TotalSATScore instead in your first Univariate Procedure.

3. Run the following code

proc contents data=TotalSATScore;run;

and see what variables you have in your data set. If SAS tells you that a variable is not there, it is not there. So Check the Contents Procedure and see what the desired variable is actually called, if it is there at all. If it is not, then check your Import Procedure for errors or post your entire log for more information.

trash
Fluorite | Level 6

this was incredibly helpful, thank you so much!! Have a blessed day

PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Anytime, glad to help 🙂 

You too, have a nice day.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Please refer to other posts on here as to how to post and format code.  What you have posted is totally unreadable, mixing case, no indentations etc.  Also, post test data in the form of a datastep in the body of the post using the {i} code window, I am not risking my machine downloading Excel files.

For your question, examine the dataset: TotalSATScore

It is lacking a variable called: TotalSATScore

Most likely because you are using Excel - the worst possible data source and compounding that by using the guessing procedure proc import which guess what the data is supposed to look like.  Check the structure on what the dataset is created as and you will see you have a different name or some other issue.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation