BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
deega
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I am trying to import a CSV file in SAS Base 9.4. I have tried both Proc import and import wizard but I am getting just '1' in the place of dates and by default its taking text format. I tried format but I get error saying I can not use format.

The data in csv is something like this( this is dummy example just for reference). Funniest part is SAS is interpreting the last date column correctly but not the first one. 

132   erf8363 1997/3/11 0:00
135    1955/8/2 0:00erg4734 1997/3/11 0:00
132   erf620 1997/3/11 0:00
444   ergf9192 1997/3/11 0:00

Apart from import wizard I used following code

proc import datafile = "Chjkj.csv"
out = c11
dbms = csv
replace;
getnames = yes;
run;

Thanks in advance !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ksharp
Super User

out = c11
dbms = csv
replace;
getnames = yes;
guessingrows=32767;
run;

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Ksharp
Super User

out = c11
dbms = csv
replace;
getnames = yes;
guessingrows=32767;
run;

deega
Quartz | Level 8
Wow ! Its working.... I wasted so many hours in this.....Thank you so much !
But
deega
Quartz | Level 8

Is there any solution for this problem also....

even after using getnames=yes, my SAS table does not take the variable names from CSV file, instead it names it VAR1 VAR2... and so on.

Ksharp
Super User

That is really weird. is your data starting from first row ?

Try option:   

datarow=3; 

Better post your sample data to let us test it .

deega
Quartz | Level 8

I have found the reason of this weird behaviour. My Variable names are in Japanese, my program read it correctly when I changed them in source CSV. However, even the Japanese version of SAS is not reading the Japanese fonts and naming them as var1 var2 ... and so on. If you have any idea of how to solve this problem, please tell me.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

How was the CSV file created? What encoding was used? Did SAS properly detect the encoding?  Are the characters consistent with the encoding?

Can you post an example file with 2 or 3 columns and 3 or 4 rows?

deega
Quartz | Level 8
CSV files are not created at my end. I get data from the client in the form of CSV files. Where can I find SAS encoding ?
Reeza
Super User

Assuming you know the encoding you can specify it on the infile statement. 

Heres a link on how to find your encoding. 

http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/187169/how-to-detect-the-encoding-of-a-file

ballardw
Super User

GETNAMES assumes the variable names are on the first row. If for some reason they aren't then you'll get that behavior and possibly some variables that should be numeric end up character as the name is treated as a data value.

Also a good diagnostic when using proc import for delimited files is the log. It will contain the datastep code generated to read the data.

Sometimes it is best to copy the code from the log and modify to your needs such as setting consistent lengths for similar variables, especially if you are going to combine datasets, spellings of variable names and it often is a good idea to add variable labels.

Reeza
Super User

Also, when you use proc import look at your log. It has the data step code. Copy that to your editor and edit the fields that aren't being imported properly. 

You can copy the code without line numbers by pressing ALT+highlighting the code without line numbers.

LittlesasMaster
Obsidian | Level 7

Hey,

your code does not have problem, tried same and working fine.

Check if all your sas components are installed correctly i.e SAS/ACCESS and SAS/CONNECT

proc import datafile = "C:\Users\ak26\Desktop\Book1.csv"
out = c11
dbms = csv
replace;
getnames =yes;
run;
proc print;run;

SAS Output

The SAS System

Obs A b c d e f g
1 132     . erf 8363 03/11/1997
2 135     08/02/1955 erg 4734 03/11/1997
3 132     . erf 620 03/11/1997
4 444     . ergf 9192 03/11/1997

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 6 in conversation