BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
V_Andy
Fluorite | Level 6
Hello!

I've got problems trying to import data from a data file located on my personal computer to the SAS Data set using INFILE statement.

If I use Enterprise Guide Import Wizard everything performs perfectrly. I point to my local file using EG file explorer. But the need is to perform this task using SAS Base script.

The problem is that the SAS server can not see my local computer. Thus I can't refer the local file such as: FILENAME Data 'c:\info.dat'.

Can you tell me If there is a way to make the server "see" my local computer (my local files) to allow me perform the SAS import procedure automatically by means of SAS Base script (avoiding the use of EG Import Wizard)?

Thank you for your attention
6 REPLIES 6
Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
can you ftp the file to your SAS server?
Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
I think the alternative of establishing an ftp service or open port - even if private, or a "shared" folder on your desktop,
so that the server can address your system, is deeply deprecated these days.

peterC
V_Andy
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you peterC

Does it mean that it is uncommon situation to transfer data directly from the local machine to the SAS server and there are no standard means to perform this procedure automatically (using SAS script languages)?
Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
SAS Enterprise Guide provides a standard way to deal with the data arrangements you have.
SAS Institute provide alternative solutions for building robust "hands-free" processes when you do not wish to use SAS Enterprise Guide. You may already have these solutions available. I would suggest speaking to your SAS administrator clarifying what you need.

peterC
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
I also believe that there was talk of an EG task that would upload local data to the SAS server. There was mention of it back in 2007 here:
http://support.sas.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=4818ዒ (near bottom of thread)
and here
http://support.sas.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=4809ዉ

cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation