DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Import and Append from Multiple Folders.

Occasional Contributor

Import and Append from Multiple Folders.

I have a bunch of .dat daily files that I am trying to turn into historical data sets.  The issue for me is that each of these files is in a daily folder--for example, the files for July 24th are in a folder called 20170724, the files for July 23rd are in a folder called 20170723, etc.  There are several files in each folder: AA.dat, BB.dat, CC.dat, DD.dat, etc.

These files go back 10 months, so the backlog is pretty big.  What I do not have time to do is import these files folder by folder.

I’d like to import and append the daily files to one another to create a month-end data set and a yearly data set.  For example, a monthly AA and a YTD AA, a monthly BB and a YTD BB, etc. 

Any ideas as to how I can do this?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Super User

Re: Import and Append from Multiple Folders.

https://github.com/statgeek/SAS-Tutorials/blob/master/Import_all_files_one_type

I don't actually recommend my macro above for text files, but the process is the same. There are more efficient codes in various places if you search. 

The process is basically, create a list of file by traversing the directorie and then import all at once. 

Occasional Contributor

Re: Import and Append from Multiple Folders.

Thanks, Reeza, for the help. I will take a look at your macro above and will also keep searching for other code to assist me.
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation