BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Dingdang
Fluorite | Level 6

Dear all

I have a problem importing numeric variable with different lengthes and decimal places with the format best. The variable X was not identified as numeric, so I used put(X, best.) to convert it into a numeric variable. Since the original data in excel have different lengthes and decimal places, some numbers that I read into SAS were wrong (like originally 0.00225 was imported as 2.25 etc.). How I can fix this problem?

Many thanks in advance! 

Best regards

Xiao

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You need to show the values you have and what values you want them translated into.  Also show the code you used and the values you got and how they are not what you want.

The way to convert a string to a number is to use an INFORMAT, not a FORMAT.  Note that there is no informat named BEST.  If you ask for it SAS will just silently use the normal informat it uses for reading numbers.  So input(x,BEST10.) is the same as input(x,F10.) which is the same as input(x,10.).  If your character strings could contain commas and/or dollar signs then the "best" informat to use would be the COMMA. informat.  Do not specify decimal places on an informat (unless you want SAS to divide strings that look like integers by a power of ten).

numvalue = input(strvalue, comma32.) ;

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User

Show your code and an example that replicates your issue please. 

Note that if you use an informat like 8.2 it assumes your data ALWAYS has two decimal points. So 822 becomes 8.22

And there's no real way to fix that after the fact, you need to fix the import step. 

ballardw
Super User

@Dingdang wrote:

Dear all

I have a problem importing numeric variable with different lengthes and decimal places with the format best. The variable X was not identified as numeric, so I used put(X, best.) to convert it into a numeric variable. Since the original data in excel have different lengthes and decimal places, some numbers that I read into SAS were wrong (like originally 0.00225 was imported as 2.25 etc.). How I can fix this problem?

Many thanks in advance! 

Best regards

Xiao

What format was the original file? How did you import it? If you used Proc Import and the file was CSV or other delimited file type then likely the GUESSINGROWS value was set too low. You can modify the code generated to read delimited files by copy and paste from the log to editor and change the informat for any affected variables. If you wrote a data step to read the data then show the code.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You need to show the values you have and what values you want them translated into.  Also show the code you used and the values you got and how they are not what you want.

The way to convert a string to a number is to use an INFORMAT, not a FORMAT.  Note that there is no informat named BEST.  If you ask for it SAS will just silently use the normal informat it uses for reading numbers.  So input(x,BEST10.) is the same as input(x,F10.) which is the same as input(x,10.).  If your character strings could contain commas and/or dollar signs then the "best" informat to use would be the COMMA. informat.  Do not specify decimal places on an informat (unless you want SAS to divide strings that look like integers by a power of ten).

numvalue = input(strvalue, comma32.) ;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation