BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hello,

I have 20 Microsoft Excel files that I would like to import into a single SAS Data Set for analysis. The variables within each Excel file are the same, only the observations differ, as each Excel file represents output from a single department, and we have reports from 20 departments.

There is report header information in the first 6 rows of the Excel spreadsheet, so I would like to import the data starting at line 7, if that's possible.

Any information on the best way to accomplish this task is appreciated. I have access to local SAS as well as having a BI implementation (with access to all SAS tools) at my disposal, so I am would be interested in hearing any and all options that may be at disposal.

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
WendyT
Pyrite | Level 9
Hello everyone-

I'm facing much the same problem as the OP - I need to import the data from a single tab from multiple Excel 2007 files. Our upgrade of 9.2 to phase 2 to read 2007 is in the works.

I have done multiple file reads from .csv files into one dataset, but we have had problems with corrections not getting done through both source files, thus the switch to direct read.

I found a macro that will read multiple sheets out of multiple Excel files, and I could take out the multiple tab section for my case.

http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi31/034-31.pdf

I will be reading only the tab 'finals' from Excel (*.xlsx) files from a specific directory, and the Excel files will not have consistent naming.

Does anyone have a simpler way to do this?

Thanks for your help!

Wendy

LIBNAME GETIT EXCEL "test.xlsx" MIXED=NO SCAN_TIMETYPE=ANY ;
DATA NEW ;
SET GETIT.'FINALS$'n ;
RUN ;
LIBNAME GETIT CLEAR ; RUN ;
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Reading the Excel files could be done with PROC IMPORT. Reading from row 7 can be accomplished, see on-line doc for PROC IMPORT. For each Excel-file, you can do SQL INSERT to a common table. If not present in the Excel-files, you might wish to add a department id column.

Reading all Excel-files could be done either via a macro-loop, or by reading all files in a specific directory. There have been many previous threads in this forum discussing these topics.

/Linus
Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation