BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Does anyone now how to use the IRR function in SAS?

Here's an example of a cash flow that I used:
Month1: $-3,000
Month2: $600
Month3: $1,200
Month4: $600
Month5: $700

In excel I use the IRR function (=IRR(-3000,600,1200,600,700,.01)) and get a monthly IRR of 1.35%.

In SAS I use the IRR function (monthly_irr=IRR(5,-3000,600,1200,600,700)) and get a monthly IRR of 6.93. INTRR gives .0693.

Does anyone know how to use the SAS IRR function to get 1.35%? In support.sas it says that IRR should be written IRR(frequency,cash1,cash2,...,cashn).

Thanks for the help!!!
3 REPLIES 3
deleted_user
Not applicable
are you expecting the IRR per period or per year?
A first order approximation indicates (SAS Result)/frequency approx= (excel result)

I guess you might need to check on the excel doc, too

PeteC
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the help. My periods are months so I'm looking for it by period and annualy. I thought that the function did it by period as it asks for frequency and then i used this calculation to change it to annual.

annual_irr=((monthly_irr+1)**12)-1;

Thanks again for the help!
Laura
deleted_user
Not applicable
you'll find the SAS doc for function INTRR() more helpful, as it includes an example that might clarify the purpose of the FREQ parameter.... see http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrdict/59540/HTML/default/a000245903.htm.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 1 in conversation