Hi,

I have a datastep that looks like this:

data new_orig1;

set new_orig;

format orig_date mmddyy10. MaturityDate mmddyy10. groupdsfinalscaled 12.;

orig_date = intnx('quarter','30sep12'd,quarter);

curr_dt = put(put(orig_date,yyq6.),$6.);

run;

I would expect that all the resulting values for "orig_date" would be Oct 1, 2012, since the input date, '30sep12'd, is a constant for all the observations. But for some reason, this only occurs for a subset of my resulting dataset. The rest of the observations have "orig_date" values such as 1/1/2013, 4/1/2013, 7/1/2013, 10/1/2013. In other words, always the beginnings of quarters, but not 10/1/2012 as I had expected.

Can anyone explain why?

Much appreciated!

Super User

Re: INTNX producing unexpected results

Is quarter ever equal to 1, because that would give you the date you expect. If not, then no....

data new_orig1;

format orig_date mmddyy10. ;

orig_date = intnx('quarter','30sep12'd,1);

curr_dt = put(put(orig_date,yyq6.),$6.);

run;

New Contributor

Thanks Reeza! You're right, all the sample syntax for the INTNX statement I am finding has a constant as the interval. I'm not sure how exactly having the interval set to "quarter" instead of "1" results in some of the resulting observations having an "orig_date" of 10/1/2012, some having 1/1/2013, some having 4/1/2013, etc. Do you know how this works?

Respected Advisor

The third parameter in INTNX is the number of intervals by which to shift the date. If you want the quarter where your date belongs, use 0 as the third parameter (+1 gives you the next, -1, the previous, quarter)

PG

PG
Super User

The parameters for intnx are

Interval - "Quarter"

Start date -  '30Sep2012'd

INCREMENT - quarter (variable I'm assuming????)

Alignment (optional) - default = start of period.

You've set your interval to quarters, so every 3 months and your start date to the end of September. The next quarter or interval would be October 1, 2012.

Your increment is set to a variable named quarter. Run a proc freq on your quarter variable to see what that value contains, my guess is 1/2/3/4/5...etc, so your original start date is being incremented by the value in each of the observations.

proc freq data=  new_orig;

table quarter;

run;

New Contributor

You're right! I just ran a proc freq and now understand it complete. Thanks so much for your help!

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation