BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
zdblizar
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I am working with a large data set. I sorted the data set, using 3 BY variables to do the sort. I received in my LOG file a NOTE that went something like this: "SAS Threaded sort was used" not the exact message but quite close. I want to know whether this is a "bad" thing, or if I should be worried that my data has been compromised? Why was a threaded sort used in this instance? Thank you for your time!

2 REPLIES 2
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

If your computer/server has multiple Cores, it can do multiple things at once.  Each of these things is called a thread.  For instance, SAS might break up the data into several chunks and send each of those chunks to seperate cores, each core doing a thread of its own, which at the end of the process all these threads are woven back together to get the end product. 

There is nothing to worry about, the Note just indicates that this was done.  Its only really relevant if you have limited time/space on your server and want SAS to use less threads (i.e. taking more time but less resource).

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation