BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
kodmfl
Obsidian | Level 7

I have a data set containing the following:

Several character variables with location information say just a numeric value for LOCATION from 1 to the total number, a response variable (a Y variable), several numeric predictor variables (X variables X1 to however many say 20) and a character variable (call it BESTMODEL) that indicates which of these variables has the best relationship with the response variable.  I want to create a new variable(call it BESTVAR) which for each iteration of RIVER, REGION, STATION, contains the numeric values of the predictor which has the best relationship with Y , There will be multiple observations per location but the character variable is constant for a given location. I presume that the only way to do this is to create individual data sets for each location create the BESTVAR for each data set and then recombine them into a single data set containing all the locations. 

Data would look like this

Location   Yvariable          X1   X2   .....XMAXIMUM     BESTMODEL (Character)

1               Numeric         Numeric variables                X2

1               .                    .                                         X2

1               .                    .                                         x2

1               .                     .                                        x2

2               .                    .                                         x9

2               .                    .                                         x9

3               .                    .                                         x1

3               .                                                              x1

3              .                     .                                         x1

3              Numeric          Numveric variables .             x1

What I want is

Location   Yvariable            BESTVAR

1              Numeric            Numeric variable X2

1                                      Numeric variable X2

2                                      Numeric variable X9

2                                       Numeric variable X9

3                                        Numeric variable X1

3                                        Numeric variable X1

3             Numeric               Numeric variable X1

So in others words I want the numeric values in the columns identified in BESTMODEL to be substituted into the variable BESTVAR.  I don't want to have a call for each location or each variable. have a numeric counter in the data set for the location and a global macro variable for the total number of locations.  It would seem that this should be a fairly straight forward thing to do but I simply can't seem to find the right tool I have tried several things to get this to work SYMPUT and CALL EXECUTE. I think the main problem I am having is trying to get the macro DO loop to iterate in the proper way. I can't seem get anything to work properly.

If anyone has a suggestions, references or example code it would be most appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Doesn't sound you need any macro code for that. Just use VVALUEX() function.

newvar = input( vvaluex( bestmodel ), ??32. );

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User

I don't understand your question, if you already have BESTMODEL (character) what more do you need? You talk about 3 different location variables, river/ region/station but they aren't shown in your data.

Better examples would be helpful.

kodmfl
Obsidian | Level 7

Well for my example I didn't actually want to type out all of the different values for the locations so I just put in an indicator for let's say just STATION. As for why I want to move the data into another column their are very good reasons for it. Believe me when I say it will help me streamline things in a larger program.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Doesn't sound you need any macro code for that. Just use VVALUEX() function.

newvar = input( vvaluex( bestmodel ), ??32. );

kodmfl
Obsidian | Level 7

Tom

You wouldn't believe how long I banged my head on my desk over this. Thanks for your help. Hope you get this message, I've never heard of this function obviously until ,,,well...now.

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

Isn't there a potential data loss issue depending on the formatted value of argument to VVALUEX.  Could you use HEX16 format/informat to guard against that?

However it may not be an issue of any consequence. 

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Yes. 

Another way is to  use WHICHC() function to figure out which index to use into an array of the values.

* Some sample data ;

data have ;

input location y x1-x5 bestmodel $ ;

cards;

1 3.4 1 2 3 4 5 X2

2 1.3 6 7 8 9 10 X4

run;

* Get variable names ;

proc transpose data=have(obs=0) out=vars;

var x: ;

run;

proc sql noprint ;

select quote(trim(upcase(_name_))) into :varlist separated by ','

from vars ;

quit;

%let nvars=&sqlobs;

* Lookup the BESTMODEL value ;

data want ;

set have ;

array x (&nvars) ;

array names (&nvars) $32 _temporary_ (&varlist) ;

newvar = x(whichc(upcase(bestmodel),of names(*)));

put bestmodel= newvar=;

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation