BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Azeem112
Quartz | Level 8

Dear community,

I'm working on EGRC 6.1 in which I've system in which user enters data in both Arabic and in English Language. Both Arabic and English data is visible in web application, however in data sets Arabic text is shown as ?? instead of Arabic. I also created some reports using SAS stored process and printing my data report as html using 

data _null_;
 file _webout;

Arabic data is showing as ? instead of Arabic in reports too.

Kindly tell me that how can I print my Arabic in my reports and make them visible in data sets.

Things I've tried are

I changed SAS language from en to u8(UTF-8) as

SAS -> SAShome -> SASFoundation -> 9.4 -> sasv9.cfg (changed en to u8)

followed by this question

tried to change encoding of my data set as

data Subject (encoding="UTF-8");
set Sasoprsk.cust_field_value_l;
where cust_field_nm eq "x_str_s";
Subject = value_txt;
keep business_object_rk Subject;
run;

I've also tried with

ISO-8859-6

both approaches didn't work. Kindly tell me how I can do this? I attached a pic as compressed of my SAS data set. 

In attachment ?? is Arabic text which is visible in web application but displaying ? in data sets and report.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Usually there is a startup script referenced in the Stored Process application server properties.  This is something that a SAS admin would need to adjust for you.  You need to change the startup script to launch SAS with the /nls/u8 config file (which includes the ENCODING=UTF8 directive).

stp.png

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Are you certain that the encoding of the original data set (Sasoprsk.cust_field_value_l) is UTF-8 already and that the Arabic characters are preserved? You can check this with PROC CONTENTS data=Sasoprsk.cust_field_value_l, and then a PROC PRINT of some of the records from that data set.

Chris 

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Azeem112
Quartz | Level 8

I just set SAS encoding to UTF-8 in meta. now Arabic is visible in data sets but not in reports.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

If you're relying on Stored Processes for the reports, make sure that the Stored Process server also has utf-8 set for encoding.  And you might need to restart those servers -- the Stored Process server usually has a few persistent multiuser sessions going when it starts up.

Azeem112
Quartz | Level 8

dear 

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Usually there is a startup script referenced in the Stored Process application server properties.  This is something that a SAS admin would need to adjust for you.  You need to change the startup script to launch SAS with the /nls/u8 config file (which includes the ENCODING=UTF8 directive).

stp.png

Azeem112
Quartz | Level 8

I changed the encoding to UTF-8 but it's still not showing Arabic text.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I suggest that you work with SAS Technical Support on this.  I think we've covered all of the necessary steps, but something is missing.  A closer examination of your SAS log and the Stored Process environment might yield the answer.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation