BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Sejin
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello

I am now trying to use length command with several hundreds of variables.

Since the number of variables are too many, I want to express variables in a short and efficient way.

Following is the code I designed.

length name $ 100 secid $ 100 (time1-204) ($ 100);

I know something is wrong on the last part of the code, but can't figure out how to fix it.

Please give me some help.

8 REPLIES 8
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Close. Do like this

length name $ 100 secid $ 100 time1-time204 $ 100;
Sejin
Obsidian | Level 7

1.png

Thanks for the quick reply!

But this is what I got with no outcome..

Do you know what is another error that needs to be fixed?

PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

You probably do not see any ERRORS in your log, only NOTES that the variables are uninitialized. You probably need an INPUT Statement after your INFILE Statement.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

A SAS log is pure text. To post it here, just use copy/paste into a window opened with the {i} button of the main Rich Text posting window.

The same goes for SAS code, the "little running man icon" will even imitate most of the coloring fo the SAS Enhanced Editor.

And yes, you're missing an input statement.

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

specifying the length of 100 bytes does not require to be done one  by one in a length statement for each variable or variable list:

data w1;
set sashelp.class(drop=name);
length name  secid  time1-time204 $ 100;
run;

proc contents data=w1;
run;
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

"with several hundreds of variables." - this sounds bad already.  Does the data come from Excel by any chance?  Observations not columns is the way forward.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 5 in conversation