BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jerry898969
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello,

I working on geocoding some data and the process runs and sasy that the zip lookup data is sashelp.zipcode.

So I went and retrived the latest file from SAS's website and I want to update the sashelp.zipcode file with the latest version so my geocoding is done with the latest version.

I have tried doing the following and creating a backup of the current zipcode file, but I keep getting an error.

data sashelp.zipcode_old ;
    set sashelp.zipcode ;
run ;

ERROR: User does not have appropriate authorization level for library SASHELP.

I'm using SAS 9.4 TS1M2 on a windows 7 computer.  I have already given myself write permissions on

C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\core\sashelp and it still gives me an error.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
art297
Opal | Level 21

While dangerous, I've always made the change directly to the actual sashelp file. Of course, I always keep a copy of the original so I can re-instate it if what I change/add doesn't work.

As such, in SAS, I create a new copy of zipcode file in a permanent library that I have read/write access, I make the desired additions to that file.

Then, I exit SAS and, from Window's Explorer, move that file into the sashelp directory. If it is the first time I;m doing it, first (also in Window's Explorer) I make a copy of the sashelp.zipcode file in the sashelp directory, calling it sashelp_original.

HTH,

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
art297
Opal | Level 21

While dangerous, I've always made the change directly to the actual sashelp file. Of course, I always keep a copy of the original so I can re-instate it if what I change/add doesn't work.

As such, in SAS, I create a new copy of zipcode file in a permanent library that I have read/write access, I make the desired additions to that file.

Then, I exit SAS and, from Window's Explorer, move that file into the sashelp directory. If it is the first time I;m doing it, first (also in Window's Explorer) I make a copy of the sashelp.zipcode file in the sashelp directory, calling it sashelp_original.

HTH,

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

jerry898969
Pyrite | Level 9

Art,

Thank you so much.  That solution worked perfect. 

I created a backup and copied over the new version of the data and then opened sas and the new version was there.

Thank you,

Jerry

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation