4 weeks ago
I have a large data set with a column called ‘identifier.’ About 90% of cases include a 7 digit ID in the identifier column. For the remaining 10% of cases, however, there wasn’t a 7 digit ID available, so the person who created the data set made up her own faux ID by concatenating address and zip code. I need to split out the “true” IDs so I can use them to merge with another file. I want to leave the ‘identifier’ column as is, since the faux IDs may be helpful in some circumstances, but create a new numeric column called ID that only includes the 7 digit ID numbers (and leaves the rest blank). I’m very new to SAS, so I’m sure there’s a simple solution but I just don’t know it! I’ve tried using trim and subst commands but I just can’t get this to work.
Here's an example of the data I have to work with (the final column is the result I’m looking for):
Identifier address zip ID
1234567 240 Main Ave. 44230 1234567
7654321 800 Elm St. 43240 7654321
211980thSt43215 22119 80th St. 43215 .
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
4 weeks ago - last edited 4 weeks ago
if length(Identifier )=7 then id=Identifier ;
or safe bet-->
if length(identifier)=7 and anyalpha(identifier)=0 then id=identifier;
data want; set have; if length(identifier)=7 and anyalpha(identifier)=0 then id=identifier; run;