BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
JMarkW
Fluorite | Level 6
I'm executing UNIX commands using PIPE functionality in SAS. The problem is handling exceptions. If the UNIX server issues an error (stderr) output from the unix command in the pipe, how do I know. The code I inherited just returns nothing when a unix error occurs.

Does SAS have a return code for that similar to SAS/ACCESS for a RDBMS?
2 REPLIES 2
data_null__
Jade | Level 19
Use redirection to send STDERR to STDOUT.

cmd args 2>&1

The syntax may be wrong you will need to check.

Then in your data step read any lines returned when the command is executed and proceed as needed.

By default any STDERR output from commands executed with PIPE should be showing up in the SASLOG.
JMarkW
Fluorite | Level 6
after digging through the doc for a while I finally found the automatic macro variable &syscc. That will at least gave an indicator to switch to error handling logic like reading the stderr output like you mentioned.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation