BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
saslamber
Calcite | Level 5

Hi everyone,

I have a table (named tabletest) with lots of variables (too numerous to be renamed one by one, for instance variables named a-1... a-10, ..., z-1... z-10, a, ..., z) whose names may have invalid characters (for instance an-1, which was coded as 'an-1'n to be accepted). My aim is to rename all these variables with invalid characters (we can assume - is the only one), by replacing the invalid characters by Z.

I figured I would first get the list of the names of all variables from my table by exporting the result of a proc contents in a table named listname (where I only kept the names).

I know I can use tranwrd (for instance name = TRANWRD(name, '-', 'Z') ; in a data set) to rename all elements of my list of variables listname. However, I do not know how to rename all the variables of tabletest that appear to have a - in their name.

I tried what you can see below, but it didn't work because temp1 isn't a variable of tabletest in my code, only the values it takes are ones.

DATA tabletest ;
  INPUT 'an-1'n 'an-2'n 'an-3'n 'an-4'n 'an-5'n 'an-6'n 'an-7'n 'an-8'n b c d e ;
  CARDS ;
1 3 5 7 9 11 13 15 17 19 21 23
2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20 22 24
;
RUN ;

DATA listname ;
INPUT name : $40. ;
CARDS ;
an-1
an-2
an-3
an-4
an-5
an-6
an-7
an-8
b
c
d
e
;
RUN ;

DATA _NULL_ ;
SET listname ;
temp1 = name ;
temp2 = TRANWRD(name, '-', 'Z') ;
IF temp2 NE temp1 THEN CALL execute('PROC DATASETS LIBRARY = work ; MODIFY tabletest ; RENAME temp1 = temp2 ;') ;
RUN ;

What could I do to fix that issue?

Thanks in advance for any proposal.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tomrvincent
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I hope this helps.

proc sql noprint;
select "'"||name||"'n",TRANWRD(name, '-', 'Z') into :name,:newname
from dictionary.columns
where upcase(libname)='WORK' and lowcase(memname)='tabletest' and name like '%-%';
quit;

PROC DATASETS LIBRARY = work ; MODIFY tabletest ; RENAME &name = &newname ;

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
tomrvincent
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I hope this helps.

proc sql noprint;
select "'"||name||"'n",TRANWRD(name, '-', 'Z') into :name,:newname
from dictionary.columns
where upcase(libname)='WORK' and lowcase(memname)='tabletest' and name like '%-%';
quit;

PROC DATASETS LIBRARY = work ; MODIFY tabletest ; RENAME &name = &newname ;

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Or to rename them all:

proc sql noprint;
  select catt("'",NAME,"'n=",tranwrd(NAME,'-','Z')) into :rename separated by ' '
  from DICTIONARY.COLUMNS
  where LIBNAME='WORK' and MEMNAME='TABLETEST' and NAME contains '-';
quit;

proc datasets noprint ; modify TABLETEST ; rename &rename. ; quit;
saslamber
Calcite | Level 5

Both of your codes worked to solve my issue, my thanks.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation