BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
braveblade
Fluorite | Level 6

In chapter 2.10 of Little SAS Book. There is an example data file named canoes as follows:

Bellatorum  School: CSULA Time: 1:40.5
The Kraken  School: ASU Time: 1:45.35
Black Widow  School: UoA Time: 1:33.7
Koicrete  School: CSUF Time: 1:40.25
Khaos  School: UNLV  Time: 2:03.45
Max  School: UCSD Time: 1:26.47
Hakuna Matata  School: UCLA Time: 1:20.64
Prospector  School: CPSLO Time: 1:12.08
Andromeda  School: CPP  Time: 1:25.1
Kekoapohaku  School: UHM Time: 1:24.49

The book shows how to read "School" and "Time" use colon modifier, but does not show how to read the entire data file, which should include the first variable: Canoe team's names. I tried it but with no success. I'm having trobule reading the "Hakuna Matata" part. It has a space in between and the delimiter of the data file is space. Can anyone show me how to read the above data file into SAS? Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I don't know what edition you are using, but the fifth edition includes the following code, which appears to read the RaceTime variable:

DATA canoeresults;
  INFILE 'c:\MyRawData\Canoes.dat';
  INPUT  @'School:' School $ @'Time:' RaceTime :STIMER8.;
RUN;

The RaceTime variable will be read in terms of seconds. For example, the first observation has a RaceTime of 100.5 seconds.

braveblade
Fluorite | Level 6

Yes. But it does not show how to read the first variable: Canoe team's name. Thanks!

ballardw
Super User

Add before the input:

Informat teamname $20. ;

modify input

input teamname & <the other variables>

This assumes that the important but not mentioned two spaces after the team names is consitent.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation