BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
RavenWu
Calcite | Level 5

The result required is:

result.png

the dataset is in attachment, and my codes are 

DATA Names;

DATA Names;
 INFILE  'D:\names.txt' dlm=';';

IF gender= "M" THEN gender_dummy= 1;
 eLSE IF gender= "F" THEN gender_dummy= 0;

IF inservice < 2013 THEN bestpos=q1;
 ELSE bestpos=1;
 worstpos=q3;

RUN;

my result is 

my result.png

As I think, the first 6 variables are original variables and we could just read them in and tell the SAS to seperate them by delimeter ";", and the last 4 variables are newly created variables. Except for the variable "serviceyrs", I can't deduce how it come from, so we can just ignore this column. It is weird that the orignal variables can't be correctly read in, and the final result is totally incorrect. Could anyone know what's the problem with my codes?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jklaverstijn
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

The problem with your code is obvious. You need an INPUT statement. Your assumption about thsi being automatic due to that first line in your code is wrong. It is PROC IMPORT that can do that; not the datasytep.

Remember to skip that first line. Use INFILE ... FIRSTOBS=2;

Regards, Jan.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
jklaverstijn
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I can't see the INPUT statement. Did you forget something important? 😉

regards Jan.

RavenWu
Calcite | Level 5
Since the names of the first 6 variables are aready given in the head line of the data set, I assume we don't need an input statement to specify the variable anymore.
ballardw
Super User

I would look to use the import wizard or task for a text file. Tell the wizard the delimiter is ;. Should take care of reading.

If you want to add additional variables at the same time you should be able to find the datastep generated by the wizard in the log. You could copy and paste that into the editor/code node or which ever and add the lines you have for the additional variables.

RavenWu
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you @ballardw, but the codes generated by import wizard have too many lines. I think there is just some small problems with my codes, and we can actually use the simple SAS codes to read the data correctly. I just don't know how to do yet.
jklaverstijn
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

The problem with your code is obvious. You need an INPUT statement. Your assumption about thsi being automatic due to that first line in your code is wrong. It is PROC IMPORT that can do that; not the datasytep.

Remember to skip that first line. Use INFILE ... FIRSTOBS=2;

Regards, Jan.

jklaverstijn
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Your code would be (not tested):

DATA Names;
    length name $100 gender $1 inservice q1 q2 q3 8;
    INFILE  'D:\names.txt' dlm=';' fitrsobs=2;
    input name $ gender $ inservice q1 q2 q3;

Hope this helps,

- Jan.

RavenWu
Calcite | Level 5
You are right. Thank you so much !!
jklaverstijn
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
If this works for you, please mark this resolved.

- Jan
RavenWu
Calcite | Level 5
Ok. I am a new user and I will always do that in the future
ballardw
Super User

If you are worried about multiple INFORMAT and FORMAT statements that is NOT too many lines. You only would have a dozen or so of those and one input statement spanning 8 or nine lines. A 40 or 50 line program to read data when YOU don't have to type all of it is minor.

I routinely deal with this for up to 200 variables. I end up with over 800 lines for some of these things. Adding Labels so the variables have some meaning, diagnostic code, cleaning values and adding additional analysis or reporting variables adds more. That is all routine and tedious but the programs are not "too big".

The idea is that you can reduce them in the editor, many of the formats especially for character variables for instance.

But once you have the program when you need to read a similar file later you just point to the new data source and give the data set a new name.

RavenWu
Calcite | Level 5
Got it . Thank you !!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation