BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ncsthbell
Quartz | Level 8

I have built a stored process that in which I built prompts in Management Console for  'Name',  'Address', 'City' and 'State'  columns.

If the user enters a value in either the prompt for 'Name' or 'Address',  they want the 'City' & 'State' prompt fields to be required to be populated.

From what I have read, the cascading prompt associates a list of values to choose from for a given prompt.  I do not see any options in SMC that I could set to make the 'Name' & 'Address' prompts require a value to be entered into the 'City' & 'State' prompts if the user enters values in either or both the 'Name' & 'Address' prompts..

I would appreciate any direction on how to accomplish this task.

Thanks is advance!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mbuchecker
Quartz | Level 8

Hi ncsthbell,

The type of prompt you are looking for is called a "Selection Group" prompt. It is the IF/THEN equivalent for prompting.I've not done this in SMC, only EG. But here are the steps. Essentially within the prompt manager click on New > New Group. Change the type to Selection group. Add your displayed initial text and name of prompt. Click the Selection-Dependent Groups tab. 

Click New Group. Enter text and value. Click OK. Then click New Group and add the next text and value.

At this point you have 2 dependent groups within your main group. Think of these 2 dependent groups as your branches. Then add your City and State prompts to one of those branches. 

Hopefully this should point you in the right direction.

Michelle Buchecker

Director of Technical Training Services

ThotWave Technologies

Michelle

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
mbuchecker
Quartz | Level 8

Hi ncsthbell,

The type of prompt you are looking for is called a "Selection Group" prompt. It is the IF/THEN equivalent for prompting.I've not done this in SMC, only EG. But here are the steps. Essentially within the prompt manager click on New > New Group. Change the type to Selection group. Add your displayed initial text and name of prompt. Click the Selection-Dependent Groups tab. 

Click New Group. Enter text and value. Click OK. Then click New Group and add the next text and value.

At this point you have 2 dependent groups within your main group. Think of these 2 dependent groups as your branches. Then add your City and State prompts to one of those branches. 

Hopefully this should point you in the right direction.

Michelle Buchecker

Director of Technical Training Services

ThotWave Technologies

Michelle

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation