BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
toesockshoe
Calcite | Level 5

I have a dataset with age ... values being like 15,16,17,...90 (all whole numbers), but sas makes this continuous (numerical). Is there a way for me to make this categorical?

7 REPLIES 7
mkeintz
PROC Star

natural numbers are not continuous.

But I digress.   What categories do you want?

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

toesockshoe
Calcite | Level 5

so id want 21 to be 21 and 22 to be 22 and so on, but I just don't want them to be treated as integers. I'd like for them to be treated as different/independent groups.

mkeintz
PROC Star

By "treated as categories", I presume you mean the equivalent of a CLASS variable in a GLM, or other statistical procedures.  If so, you don't have to modify the age variable.  Instead just tell your analysis/tabulation procedure to treat age as a class var.  In the GLM proc the statement would be

CLASS age;

which you would associate with the appropriate MODEL statement.

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@mkeintz wrote:

By "treated as categories", I presume you mean the equivalent of a CLASS variable in a GLM, or other statistical procedures.  If so, you don't have to modify the age variable.  Instead just tell your analysis/tabulation procedure to treat age as a class var.  In the GLM proc the statement would be

CLASS age;

which you would associate with the appropriate MODEL statement.

And if we're talking about AGE, then yes the CLASS statement would cause AGE to be treated as a categorical variable, and @toesockshoe, most likely this is a poor way to analyze this variable.

--
Paige Miller
Reeza
Super User

Variables are numerical or character. A categorical variable is mostly defined by usage, but can typically be of either group. So why do you think you need a categorical variable?

If this is for a regression using GLM/LOGISTIC or that form you need to place the variable in a CLASS statement or create dummy variables manually. It won't matter if it's character or numerical when creating the dummy variables. 

@toesockshoe wrote:

so id want 21 to be 21 and 22 to be 22 and so on, but I just don't want them to be treated as integers. I'd like for them to be treated as different/independent groups.

ballardw
Super User

Here's one example format:

Proc format;
value age10yr
0 - 9 =' 0-9'
10-19 ='10-19'
20-29 ='20-29'
30-39 ='30-39'
40-49 ='40-49'
50-59 ='50-59'
60-69 ='60-69'
70-79 ='70-79'
80-89 ='80-89'
90-99 ='90-99'
100-high ='100+'
;
run;

Use the format associated with the variable in Proc Print, Freq or what have you such as:

Format age age10yr. ;

The name of a format cannot end in a number to avoid headaches when using the notation to specify print width.

Astounding
PROC Star

As has already been mentioned, the CLASS statement does this in most cases.

If you find a case where the CLASS statement doesn't work, just create your own categorical variable based on AGE:

agecat = put(age, z3.);

Then use AGECAT instead of AGE in your program.  Note that AGECAT will be character (not numeric).

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 6 in conversation