BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
leahcho
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I used proc means to calculate mean values of a variable. And now I want to use the mean values to calculate other variables.

How can I make the mean values a new variable in SAS statement?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

It will help to provide an example of what you are doing for some example start data, the proc means code and how you want to actually use the resulting values from proc means.

Proc means supports an output statement to create a data set with the requested statistics.

Or learn about ODS output to capture data from table output.

leahcho
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks

So I used

proc means data=have;

var new;

run;

Then in the output, I have

Variable    n         mean     std error

new       1176       3.6       0.97

Then I want to use the mean value of 3.6 to calculate another variable called MP;

MP=mean* proportion

this is possible to do?

ballardw
Super User

Where is "proportion" from? If it is in your data set HAVE then better is to show us what the data set looks like.

Best is to provide data step code to create your data set and an example of the result(s).

Astounding
PROC Star

I would guess this is what you are referring to:

proc mean data=have1 noprint;

var amount;

output out=stats mean=mean_amount;

run;

data want;

set have2;

if _n_=1 then set stats (keep=mean_amount);

*** do some calculations here;

run;

The data set STATS has one observation, which includes the variable MEAN_AMOUNT.  Its value will become part of every observation in the data set WANT.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation